Amd phenom ii x4 955 non-black works on 1.6 !?!?!? HELP

dusko

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Hi all , have a Q for u all. Im not a hardver guy so if anyones knows answer to my question pls tell me so ia can understand :D .
So, I have :
AMD Phenom II x4 955 RB-C2 non black
Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H chipset AMD 790GX
Patriot DDR2 6144MBytes
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512DDR5

It works on 1.6 GHz! Why my multiplayer is non-stop on 8x , when he should be on 16x as default ??? Every time when i go to BIOS to set it on 16x my computer cant up windows!!! When i turn it back on to 8x it works fine.

PLS HELP !!!!

dusko

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
i turned off cool & quiet in bios , so he cant downclock it. ( at least that is what i read on gigabyte site )

dusko

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
yeah, its like he boot but with no pic on monitor if its on 16x , then i need to restart BIOS to default. When i do that , multiplier is back on 8x .....

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Has this processor ever been used before at its normal speed? New motherboard? I would first try to re-flash the BIOS. If that doesn't work, it would seem to me to either be a defective board or the CPU.

dusko

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

I honest dont know , i bought it 3 years ago brand new ofc, i never test it before, until i started to play some games a while ago , i noticed that a have litlle twiches and lags while i play , when other guys i know with smaller configurasion dont. i talk to my friend and explane it to him what i have , and he sad to me that i should try to test it to see what is wrong. Than i saw on what GHz my processor working on. I never change any of the components , i bought it that way in the store.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Without another board to test the CPU in, or another CPU to test on the board... it is hard to say.
If you haven't already tried it, first reset your BIOS to default. Then shut down and remove the CMOS battery. Jumper the CLR CMOS pins for about 5 seconds. (pg 31 in your manual) Then replace the battery and boot to BIOS and see if the multiplier is where it should be. See if you can boot to Windows.

If still no joy, you may want to try to re-install Windows while the BIOS is freshly reset. If you have a modern SATA HDD, I would recommend first setting your SATA type to ACHI rather than IDE.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

He said he couldn't boot to Windows if the multiplier was set to default. He had to set it lower to even boot to Windows. So, something is not right.

True, but he also said he had it installed since purchase without changing anything and just didn't notice, which means it should have been at default all that time, so who knows? Not me.