Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU cooling

Last response: in Components
June 8, 2012 12:49:32 AM

Hello, :hello: 

I'm so confused and my head is spinning over this. Your help would be so greatly appreciated.

I've decided on the Intel i5 3570k (I don't see any reason for someone like me that just plays a few games, listens to music, uses Netflix and does the odd bit of stuff that might get a boost for hyperthreading to buy an i-7), and I desperately need any recommendations for a really good heatsink/fan. Mostly what I want is something that is easy to install, cools enough to let me overclock a fair bit, and that doesn't require me to add my own thermal grease/paste. I think I screwed this up last time -- both the grease and securing the stock Intel heatsink to the motherboard. I didn't pay attention to the warning signs of a hot CPU over the months, and I'm pretty sure it's fried. It just shut off as I was plugging in a usb cable (odd, but I guess that extra bit of input was too much for it), and now gives me no video. But then I was going to upgrade anyway.

Anyway there's just too much info for me to wade through, and this is the one part i don't want to screw up. Also, does the motherboard make and model matter??

Thank you SOOOO much! :^) :o )

Steve Clodfelter

P.S. I have a full case. You know, not those Dell Dimension 8100 cramped little cases. It's pretty roomy.

More about : cpu cooling

Best solution

June 8, 2012 3:12:04 AM

Plugging in a USB device won't overload the CPU. More than likely, you discharged static electricity near the port and the system shut down. It sounds like you don't have proper grounding for your system, and/or you are on one of those ungrounded plastic desk mats.

But, if you want a recommendation for a good but inexpensive cooler with good quality TIM already applied, this will fit the bill: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G392ZI/ref=oh_deta...
Easy to install.
June 8, 2012 8:01:25 AM

clutchc said:
Plugging in a USB device won't overload the CPU. More than likely, you discharged static electricity near the port and the system shut down. It sounds like you don't have proper grounding for your system, and/or you are on one of those ungrounded plastic desk mats.

But, if you want a recommendation for a good but inexpensive cooler with good quality TIM already applied, this will fit the bill: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G392ZI/ref=oh_deta...
Easy to install.

Thank you sir! I will give that one a good going over and so greatly appreciate your time!

I am a bit concerned about grounding -- mostly on the outlet side. It's 3-prong, but that doesn't mean it's actually grounded i guess. I actually think i may have an issue with that, but I do think i fried my cpu thanks to my ineptitude. I wish I had a spare socket P4 777 (or whatever that model number was) for testing. I sure don't want to fry all new parts! :lol:  Think I'll get a tester for that.

Thanks again for your reply! :) 

Related resources
June 8, 2012 10:25:12 AM

Pepsi7 said:
Hi,

if u want water cooling:
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Performance-Liquid...

its not "very easy" to install but "easy" + expensive, needs power from PSU.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/corsair_hydro_h...

otherwise clutchc +1

Meh, I don't care the type really, just so long as it does fair cooling for a bit of overclocking (would like to get to 4.0 ghz on the i5 3570k i'll be buying, if i can), has a nice snug fit, and won't drive me nuts installing -- I'm paranoid about such things. I HATE the Intel stock ones. I never did get that thing installed right and they're so freaking loud. The only thing I see that concerns me about the one clutchc recommends is that the push pins remind me of the Intel ones, and they just seem so wonky, as the Brits sometimes say.

Thank you so much for your time, Pepsi7! :) 
June 8, 2012 1:01:39 PM

yeah i had same experience that you have toward Intel stock cooling system, but its really easy:
mounting-*installing*-:
1-make sure that all the four pins are fully rotated clock wise.
2-put CPU > down the hand break
3-put the fan on the CPU
4-just simply press on pins as following:
(x) (y)

fan

(z) (w)
--- graph of Intel Stock fan :p  --

press on pin (X) then (W) then (Z) and finally (Y) = X shape
don't make circle ** (X) (Y) (W) (Z)

Demounting-*uninstalling*-:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foB7WJYXI60

i have 2600k , i am willing to overclock it and i found 80H is best easy choice for me.
i might change my mind to buy advanced water cooling system " difficult one" to get better cooling=better performance .
June 8, 2012 1:54:27 PM

musicbreath said:
Thank you sir! I will give that one a good going over and so greatly appreciate your time!

I am a bit concerned about grounding -- mostly on the outlet side. It's 3-prong, but that doesn't mean it's actually grounded i guess. I actually think i may have an issue with that, but I do think i fried my cpu thanks to my ineptitude. I wish I had a spare socket P4 777 (or whatever that model number was) for testing. I sure don't want to fry all new parts! :lol:  Think I'll get a tester for that.

Thanks again for your reply! :) 

If you get an inexpensive outlet tester like this one, you can check your recepts for several electrical faults including grounding errors.
http://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Receptacle-Outlet-Grou...
June 8, 2012 10:23:36 PM

Pepsi7 said:
yeah i had same experience that you have toward Intel stock cooling system, but its really easy:
mounting-*installing*-:
1-make sure that all the four pins are fully rotated clock wise.
2-put CPU > down the hand break
3-put the fan on the CPU
4-just simply press on pins as following:
(x) (y)

fan

(z) (w)
--- graph of Intel Stock fan :p  --

press on pin (X) then (W) then (Z) and finally (Y) = X shape
don't make circle ** (X) (Y) (W) (Z)

Demounting-*uninstalling*-:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foB7WJYXI60

i have 2600k , i am willing to overclock it and i found 80H is best easy choice for me.
i might change my mind to buy advanced water cooling system " difficult one" to get better cooling=better performance .

Thank you so much for the tip! I finally did figure out what I did wrong. I did have major problems getting them all to stay in place, but what I really screwed up was which way to turn the buttons after getting them in place. The combination of them popping out and trying to turn them the right direction was throwing me off to where I was never really sure if the heatsink/fan was on securely. As it turned out it wasn't secure, but wouldn't have made a difference anyway because I damaged one of the pins to the point where it wouldn't hold. Sadly I had bought two coolers but neither one fit, so I gave up and tried the stock one. It just wasn't meant to be! :lol: 

Needless to say, the next stock cooler from Intel that I get is going right into the 'big box o' parts' in the closet. :D 

P.S. I have doubts about that water cooler even though it really looks sweet. I'm just not sure my case was designed for something like that. And I HATE when something doesn't fit or work for me. If it was cheap i might give it a go, but everything I read tells me the air cooler should do good enough for me and not be too big for my case and motherboard -- I hope. :) 

I just wish Intel would stop with the cheapo coolers on their expensive chips. It's silly.
June 8, 2012 10:55:07 PM

Best answer selected by musicbreath.
!