Blue Sky From White Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

russell

What is required to get a blue sky when it is not great (excluding post
processing)?

Graduation filters make the sky more interesting, polarizer's make it more
interesting, but is there a filter which is designed just for making skies
bluer?

Russell <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> What is required to get a blue sky when it is not great (excluding post
> processing)?
>
> Graduation filters make the sky more interesting, polarizer's make it more
> interesting, but is there a filter which is designed just for making skies
> bluer?

If it's overcast, you're not going to get a blue sky.

"Russell" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> What is required to get a blue sky when it is not great (excluding post
> processing)?
>
> Graduation filters make the sky more interesting, polarizer's make it more
> interesting, but is there a filter which is designed just for making skies
> bluer?

Move to a higher elevation?

Seriously, I would think that if you just make the sky more blue you will
have to do it in something like Photoshop. I don't know how to do it, but I
know people who can actually replace the sky in just about any scene to make
it more interesting.

They also make filters that only cover half the filter to effect the ground
or the sky only, but I still think you should be thinking post processing.

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

A Singh-Ray Color Enhancing Filter
(http://www.singh-ray.com/colorintens.html) will do the trick, but they
are very expensive (like $150). If you are shooting digitally, it's
really easy to intensify saturation in Photoshop.

jo

A UV filter may help cut through the haze a bit. Underexposing will help as
long as the forground/subject don't go too dark.
John

Russell wrote:

> What is required to get a blue sky when it is not great (excluding
> post processing)?
>
> Graduation filters make the sky more interesting, polarizer's make
> it more interesting, but is there a filter which is designed just
> for making skies bluer?
I don't know if you can get anything now but there used to be
graduated filters(for black and white) the dark part of the filter
was at the top of the image and the light area at the bottom) I used
to have a pale yellow ( for a miranda d with a f2.8 50mm lens) but
have seen green, orange and red as well.
This gives my age away as that was the early sixties.
--
neil
delete delete to reply