Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Power Supply Upside down?

Last response: in Components
June 8, 2012 4:22:51 AM

Hello everyone, I have a Rosewill Challenger case and a Antec Earthwatts 650W power supply here are links to both of them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So currently I have my Power Supply with the fan pointing toward the GPU and I am wondering if that if that is the right way to mount this power supply. There are holes on the bottom of the case with a dust filter where I am guessing you are supposed to mount the power supply and I do not know if I have the PSU upside down or not. Can someone please tell me if I need to flip it around?

More about : power supply upside

a c 76 ) Power supply
June 8, 2012 4:24:40 AM

Flip it. With the vent on the bottom like that, that's way it's supposed to be. Right now, you're pulling warm air into the PSU, instead of fresh air.
Score

Best solution

a c 277 ) Power supply
June 8, 2012 4:32:46 AM

It doesn't make a ton of difference. The vent is there so that you can have the fan facing downwards and pulling in fresh air from outside the case to keep the PSU a little cooler and not have it adjusting the airflow in the case. The PSU is perfectly fine with being mounted either way, so changing it or leaving it as is isn't going to hurt anything, but you may have slightly higher temperatures on the GPU and CPU by a few C.
Related resources
a c 76 ) Power supply
June 8, 2012 4:35:48 AM

No, it doesn't make a HUGE difference, but it was meant to be that way, (with the fan facing down), so my thought is why not do it. Not a hard thing to flip it around.
Score
June 8, 2012 4:37:54 AM

Dang.... I would have to unplug everything =(
Score
a c 76 ) Power supply
June 8, 2012 4:39:47 AM

Eh, just leave it be. You'll be fine.
Score
June 8, 2012 4:53:53 AM

alright thank you for the help =)
Score
June 8, 2012 4:54:05 AM

Best answer selected by coper210.
Score
June 8, 2012 4:58:05 AM

edited, sorry
Score
a c 76 ) Power supply
June 8, 2012 4:59:11 AM

pdxalex said:
That may be an issue in a case with poor airflow, perhaps... but that case pushes plenty of air and the PSU will get all the fresh air it needs from the low-mounted front fan. Besides, it eliminates any potential airflow restrictions from having the case sitting on carpet.

Yeah, just recommending the way it's SUPPOSED to be, not the way it HAS to be.
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 8, 2012 5:07:57 AM

rosewill bottom psu cases are meant to have their psu facing downwards, though on purchase, you should have saved yourself 25$ by combing the case with a 650w hive.
Score
June 8, 2012 5:08:02 AM

I know, just saying. I'm curious though, do any full towers have the PSUs mounted an inch or so higher with slots or mesh to permit fresh air intake from the sides?
Score
June 8, 2012 7:31:20 AM

dudewitbow said:
rosewill bottom psu cases are meant to have their psu facing downwards, though on purchase, you should have saved yourself 25$ by combing the case with a 650w hive.

my build is 6 months old
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 8, 2012 5:47:19 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!