Problems with connection, looking to buy.

deltadevil

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Having a bit of trouble connecting to my devices in my house. It's a pretty large house, and the router (due to some wiring issues) can only connect to exactly one phone jack. Why this is, I have no idea, but I have tried and it only works from a phone jack in the corner of the house. Thus, with many peoples computers at the opposite end of the house, this is causing problems.

Current equipment
1: WNR3500L w/DD-WRT (2.4ghz, N)
2. Various modems to connect to it.
3: SE567 modem/router provided by ISP (G, even worse then the first bit of equipment)
4: 4 laptops (two G, two N), 1 desktop (Wired), 1 desktop (N) used for gaming, 1 wii.

All the devices in my house have a very low signal except for the wii in the same room as the router. While the signal bars on each individual computer are optimistic, my WNR3500L w/DD-WRT reports a signal quality below 10% for many computers frequently, and I trust the router more as the figures match up with reductions in speed that match up on speedtest.net. There is also a LOT of wireless noise, I'm able to pick up 10 2.4ghz networks from my house.

Various wireless repeater setups were tried (Excluding WDS, which wasn't supported on this router) and it led to worse problems. SE567 alone doesn't even connect to the far reaches of the house.

My current internet speed coming to the house is 13 megabits down, 1 megabit up. Willing to purchase/do complex convoluted things to fix this.