Which cpu amd x4 or intel i3

chadmanning222

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
i have my pc build pretty much lined up but i have a question, which cpu amd 965 x4 BE or intel i3 2120 sandy bridge. im not going to be using this for higher end games (BF3,MW3,or anything graphic wise like that but maybe bioshock) im looking for the cpu that'll give me the most bang for my buck i wanted the x4 or x6 for the multiple gpu's and price but i wont be multitasking a lot. i liked the intel i3 for its surprising performance against the x4 in reviews i found in which it actually competed toe to toe with the x4 for top spot (and in my perspective won) but i don't like the idea of a dual core will it be enough? (minecraft is my main game)

my GPU is an asus radeon hd 6850 with asrock or asus mobo
im new to computer building and thanks

Solution
if you dont plan on overclocking, the i3 will have a severe advantage

edit: in general gaming, but a disadvantage in video encoding and redering with CADs
the 965 will have an advantage when overclocked heavily, but leaves less room for upgrading if you want to upgrade your cpu compared to the i3-2120. though standard use wise, the i3s architecture would be superior compared to the 965s architecture.(the i3 is a dual core + hyper threading and not just a plain dual core like the pentium g are)

torres

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I think the i3 is better. You will see better gaming performance.Since you said you wont be multitasking then i would really take the i3.Also it s 4 threads which makes it a formidable for a little multitasking . Also then you have the support to upgrade to a i7 or i5 which destroys the 965 x4.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
If you're going to be playing a game like minecraft or non demanding games then by all means go for the i3. Just keep in mind that online games such as MMO's and BF3 (even though you said you won't play it) struggle on dual core cpus.

chadmanning222

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

felt like both you and dudewitbow had the answer i was looking for , thanks the both the of m going to get the i3 even though its a dual core