Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking to build a small transportable computer.

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Computers
  • Build
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
June 8, 2012 5:10:49 AM

Tomorrow I am helping my friend order parts for a build. He is in the navy, right now he is in A school. I have the idea of getting him a smaller case so that it can be transported when he travels. I don't know much about small computers so I am hoping you guys can help me speed the research process up with some suggestions. I am looking for a computer case that will fit a 670 or 680 (probably the triple slot Asus TOP). I would like dust filters. It only needs one drive bay but needs to fit a ssd and hdd as well. I am thinking a h100 or h80 would be good because it takes the weight of the mobo. So room for a dual rad would be a big plus. It doesn't need to be quiet, cooling is much more important. This is his first build so something beginner friendly is a plus and maybe a carrying handle. Do I need to be looking into a none standard sized power supply?

I wrote this kinda fast so I apologize if it seems like I am rambling.
Any suggestions on a case, or any component for that matter this is a new topic for me.
Any one who has military experience that has suggestions or recommendations about a personal computer? I am also shipping nov 7 and am trying to figure out if I should be selling the one I have or what.

More about : build small transportable computer

June 8, 2012 5:47:47 AM

I don't have an answer but that would be a kick ass niche product you could sell. Squeeze an LCD on the side that folds in somehow and you could have a totally portable gaming PC that wasn't a laptop. I think I want to diy one of these. It'd be a low power IB power on a picoITX board, a small flat power supply, an SSD, and wifi. Done!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 8, 2012 5:54:18 AM

well, if your aiming for a small build, a micro atx case with a micro atx board is a must. though check the dimensions of the card you want because you dont want to have a size problem in the end.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 111 ) Power supply
June 8, 2012 6:16:00 AM

My favorite case for this kind of project:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=314&area=...
a c 111 ) Power supply
June 10, 2012 10:58:47 PM

H100? There's no point of an H100 when a custom loop for a bit more will outperform it!
m
l
June 10, 2012 11:10:28 PM

amuffin said:
H100? There's no point of an H100 when a custom loop for a bit more will outperform it!

I understand your point. But my friend is stationed across the country and this is his first build so I am just picking the parts for him. Water cooling would just be too much for him plus an h100 is cheaper. I just think an h100 would be good because it would take the weight of the mobo. However I think I might just get this because I am trying to free up room in the budget. www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683511800...
I am not even sure if I want to make a small computer for him anymore because I could save another 40 getting a cheap mid tower.
m
l
June 11, 2012 12:22:07 AM

I'll consider it but it is more expensive. I know noctuas are good though
m
l
June 19, 2012 3:07:14 AM

Best answer selected by monkeymonk.
m
l
June 19, 2012 6:02:12 AM

monkeymonk said:
I think I'll be going with the arc mini because it supports the h100. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
And it has a side intake. Even though Kepler runs pretty cool I still think it is important.

This is what I was thinking. For the radiator, you could get like an external clip thing and put the radiator on the back, it doesn't necessarily have to be on the case, so you have more case options, if you don't like this one.

People use that case for miniATX watercooling projects. I remember a guide on tomshardware using it.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/microatx-gaming-ove...
m
l
June 21, 2012 7:34:38 AM

Yes that was an interesting article. I don't think you can externally mount a h100. I wouldn't want to do that anyways it would defect the purpose of having a compact computer.
m
l
June 22, 2012 8:19:04 AM

monkeymonk said:
Yes that was an interesting article. I don't think you can externally mount a h100. I wouldn't want to do that anyways it would defect the purpose of having a compact computer.

There's these radiator clips, where you mount the radiator on the outside on it.
http://www.ekwb.com/shop/radiators-fans-accessories/rad...
m
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
June 22, 2012 8:21:38 AM

mazchazo said:
There's these radiator clips, where you mount the radiator on the outside on it.

It's not possible because the H100 is a closed loop system, which means you can't remove the radiator :na: 
m
l
June 22, 2012 8:24:10 AM

amuffin said:
It's not possible because the H100 is a closed loop system, which means you can't remove the radiator :na: 

Oh yes...... Forgot about that. Anyway, this is what I was talking about, this guy did it.
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=391912&mpage=1
m
l
!