Sign in with
Your question

Building gf a computer suggestions on parts?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
February 21, 2012 7:37:02 AM

I haven't been looking up parts and such lately and it's coming time to build my girlfriend a computer her notebook is starting to crap out.

parts to equal about 800$.
I already have case/Graphics card so those parts can be skipped. Prefer cheap with quality and long warranties on each part. She only plays wow so that's the only thing she'll do is World of warcraft and browse internet and what not.

More about : building computer suggestions parts

February 21, 2012 7:56:57 AM

I5 2500k if overclocking i5 2400 if not (if you overclock add a good cpu heat sink)

A z68 motherboard

And about 8 gigs of ddr3 ram 1333

A good psu

windows 7 64

About the best advice i can give as you have not stated where you live (as in country) and have not been told of places you frequently shop (tigerdirect newegg or if you have a microcenter near by)
m
l
February 21, 2012 7:58:00 AM

then intel i5 2400 (non K she doesn't need to over clock it if its for warcraft)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
189.99$

Hard Disk
Seagate 500gb 7200rpm (more than enough for warcraft and a couple of stuff)
84.99$

G.skill 8gb (2x4GB)
46.99$

msi P67 gd 65 B3
129.99$

450w corsair or seasonic but if you can get your hands on the 520w seasonic 80plus bronze one, its good (520w)
69.99$

total of 521.95$ (that is before the other charges)

if you want monitor and stuff just grab any that fits the video card that you have oh and please double check whether the mobo and other parts would fit in the case that you have since you didn't specify which case you have so i went with a standard

m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2012 8:13:20 AM

my post above would be like if you live in USA so if not since you didn't specify which country your staying at too.

oh you need a windows 7 64bit if your buying in a few weeks
m
l
February 21, 2012 8:13:40 AM

I prefer ordering everything from Newegg as i've done so from there in the past. The area I'm living in is the country and in fact a Trailer. one reason for the dustiness. Yes I live in the USA
m
l
February 21, 2012 8:15:17 AM

Tavo_Nova said:
then intel i5 2400 (non K she doesn't need to over clock it if its for warcraft)
G.skill 8gb (2x4GB)
msi P67 gd 65 B3
450w corsair or seasonic but if you can get your hands on the 520w seasonic 80plus bronze one, its good

going to edit this and post some links and stuff in a min

Yet he may want to overclock it for her. And what good are the links if he can not buy from there? (he may live in a country where they do not ship to) Also why are you recommending a P67 board instead of a z68 board (the z68 in most cases supports sli or crossfire and has most of the bells and whistles)
m
l
February 21, 2012 8:15:38 AM

then my post above would help you out you actually don't really need z68mobos and that p67a-gd65 (b3) msi mobo should do well, with the extra budget you can buy some monitor that would fit with what gpu you have, or just use it to buy some pizza for you and your gf to eat while playing wow or something.
m
l
February 21, 2012 8:18:00 AM

I am putting the HD4850 in her system.
A bit old but still works very well i think.
m
l
February 21, 2012 8:19:23 AM

well i too believe that z68 has more bells and whistles, but he only specified

She only plays wow so that's the only thing she'll do is World of warcraft and browse internet and what not.

but if its with quality, he should go grab some corsair PSU and maybe gigabyte mobos, they got longer warranty, but hey 3 years is enough before he can switch out with any newer mobo/cpu after 3 years or 5 years

although we can even go cheaper than what i put up above now that he specified newegg and he lives in US

i'll go look around, all i can tell is that those parts i put above should be friendly with one another, i got them here at my station and seems to work nicely with one another

oh yeah like what zolton said if you ever want to overclock the cpu, get the coolermaster hyper 212 evo for cooling and an intel i5 2500K (for unlocked)

"I am putting the HD4850 in her system.
A bit old but still works very well i think."

it works well, if your using that GPU then the i5 2400 will work well, and the P67a-GD65(b3) should do the trick
m
l
February 21, 2012 8:20:30 AM

If you can swing it an ssd drive to install windows on and run games from would give a decent boost in gaming. I'd get at the least a 128 gig one. If you live near a microcenter you can get a cheap deal getting the motherboard and processor both there (they give so much off when you buy them both making it alot cheaper).
m
l
February 21, 2012 8:23:31 AM

thumbs up for the SSD drive, get those 120gb/128gb ones although i can only recommend the corsair force gt and Crucial ones, since they are about the only ssd i have in stock and ever used on all my system so yeah, so far never had any DOA or something similar with them, although there are those other people who did experience those stuff even on other brands
m
l
February 21, 2012 8:25:42 AM

zolton33 said:
If you can swing it an ssd drive to install windows on and run games from would give a decent boost in gaming. I'd get at the least a 128 gig one. If you live near a microcenter you can get a cheap deal getting the motherboard and processor both there (they give so much off when you buy them both making it alot cheaper).

I've yet to trust SSDs I still read about how their failing after a few months of use and to sepnd 300$ on one and to see it waste away that quickly would be a senseless risk. If you know of a SSD about 240 GB and is reliable for the Boot drive and gaming as well post here with links and such and I'll look into buying one for both of us. But, I want something as reliable as my current Hard drives.

Also, I do prefer good quality. I'm not worried about going cheap as long as it's under 800$ for these parts. Quality>Value.
m
l
February 21, 2012 8:25:48 AM

You could easily get her a H61 mobo, an i5, 8 GB RAM, a SSD and an upgrade to DX11 by means of an HD6870 for $800. Possibly a 1 TB HDD to top it off. That should give you some extra points.

EDIT: yeah, here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4XaT
m
l
February 21, 2012 8:30:50 AM

With any build its best to plan ahead. A z68 board gives you that. Even if she is only playing wow have you ever went into a crowded area or one where alot of spells and such were going off? A good graphics card and a good cpu will go a long ways in making her mmo gaming comfortable. Plus wow bumps up their specs with some releases so having more then enough is better then not having enough later on.

If you over clock a i5 2500k http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... for her using a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Most have bumped it up to 4.5 stable. That plus a good z68 board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And a good graphics card would help make it future proof. The 2500k is the king gaming cpu at the moment and worth it if you can swing it.
m
l
February 21, 2012 8:33:20 AM

Only buy a Z68 if you think she'll be upgrading in the next 1-2 years. If not, you'll be buying a new motherboard anyway.
m
l
February 21, 2012 8:41:55 AM

FinneousPJ said:
Only buy a Z68 if you think she'll be upgrading in the next 1-2 years. If not, you'll be buying a new motherboard anyway.

And why would you say that? Because of ivy bridge? If he gets the i5 2500k and over clocks it i'd see no reason to upgrade that for more then 2 years. My athlon 64 x2 4400+ is still gaming well 6 years after i bought and installed it. Games gradually bump up their specs. The i5 2500k should play nice for the next 5 years or so. And the z68 will give the ability to crossfire or sli if they need to get a boost in the later years before doing another upgrade.
m
l
February 21, 2012 8:45:06 AM

Even with an i5 2400 it should still do quite well in games. It may not be as good as the i5 2500k but should also game well for quite a while.
m
l
February 21, 2012 12:28:03 PM

zolton33 said:
And why would you say that? Because of ivy bridge? If he gets the i5 2500k and over clocks it i'd see no reason to upgrade that for more then 2 years. My athlon 64 x2 4400+ is still gaming well 6 years after i bought and installed it. Games gradually bump up their specs. The i5 2500k should play nice for the next 5 years or so. And the z68 will give the ability to crossfire or sli if they need to get a boost in the later years before doing another upgrade.

Because you don't need an overclocked i5 to game. It's just a hobby for some people (including me). Usually non-enthusiastic people also do not wish their computer be overclocked - now I don't know the OP's GF but chances are she either wouldn't want it overclocked or wouldn't care either way. She would however notice a SSD ;)  I mean, a 2500K plus a Z68 motherboard plus an aftermarket cooler is about $100 extra for not that huge a performance boost over a lower i5 and a lower end mobo, TBH.
m
l
!