Asus Xonar Essence STX and Astro A40

Hey everyone,

What would happen if you had an Asus Xonar Essence STX that has an Headphone Amp and use it with an Astro A40 which also has a Mixamp?

Are the amps different or will one affect the other?
8 answers Last reply
More about asus xonar essence astro
  1. fantastik250 said:
    Hey everyone,

What would happen if you had an Asus Xonar Essence STX that has an Headphone Amp and use it with an Astro A40 which also has a Mixamp?

Are the amps different or will one affect the other?
    I understand your Astro A40 is a pair of headphones...I have the card and it suggest you use a good quality headphones or they may get damaged... specially if you changed the op amps
  2. Nothing. The A40 mixamp requires a digital input, which means that $180 STX, which is the best soundcard on the market, is going to total waste.
  3. gamerk316 said:
    Nothing. The A40 mixamp requires a digital input, which means that $180 STX, which is the best soundcard on the market, is going to total waste.

I think you just have a hate on for this card...Its far from being a total waste of money and there thousands out there including myself will disagree with you...I cant believe you think the STX is a total waste...If thats the case what do you consider to be a good computer sound card...
  4. I was considering a purchase for an Astro A40 seeing. Is there a spdif to toslink converter? Or am I imagining things that there is no such thing.
  5. fantastik250 said:
    I was considering a purchase for an Astro A40 seeing. Is there a spdif to toslink converter? Or am I imagining things that there is no such thing.

Yes there is a converter that goes in your toslink and connects to your coaxial cable that how i don it its called RCA female adapter...one side look like a coaxial female and the other side looks like a earphone stereo plug in yes they make them..if your from canada they have them at the source or radio shake
  6. I just use the onboard optical port for my A30's and mixamp. :D
  7. I'm not hating on the STX, I'm just point out that its a total waste of cash to use its digital output. Why spend $180 on the best DAC on the market, then not even bother to use it?

Nevermind that all gaming headsets are trash; I went from a Sennheiser PC350 paired with my Xonar Xense [they come bundled together] to an Audio Technica ATH-m50. Light and day.

Just for kicks, I pulled out my old Tritton AX Pro's and hooked them up via optical, just for kicks. They were horrid in comparison.

There is no reason to buy a soundcard to use its optical output. Ever. Keep the STX, but get a headset that actually takes advantages of its abilities.
  8. I know, I just wanted to know if the amps from both components would just be incompatible or just one takes over the other.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Asus Astro Components