Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Asus Xonar Essence STX and Astro A40

Last response: in Components
Share
June 8, 2012 7:12:59 AM

Hey everyone,

What would happen if you had an Asus Xonar Essence STX that has an Headphone Amp and use it with an Astro A40 which also has a Mixamp?

Are the amps different or will one affect the other?
July 6, 2012 11:15:02 PM

fantastik250 said:
Hey everyone,

What would happen if you had an Asus Xonar Essence STX that has an Headphone Amp and use it with an Astro A40 which also has a Mixamp?

Are the amps different or will one affect the other?
I understand your Astro A40 is a pair of headphones...I have the card and it suggest you use a good quality headphones or they may get damaged... specially if you changed the op amps
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 7, 2012 3:36:41 AM

Nothing. The A40 mixamp requires a digital input, which means that $180 STX, which is the best soundcard on the market, is going to total waste.
Related resources
July 7, 2012 4:09:07 AM

gamerk316 said:
Nothing. The A40 mixamp requires a digital input, which means that $180 STX, which is the best soundcard on the market, is going to total waste.

I think you just have a hate on for this card...Its far from being a total waste of money and there thousands out there including myself will disagree with you...I cant believe you think the STX is a total waste...If thats the case what do you consider to be a good computer sound card...
July 7, 2012 4:42:43 AM

I was considering a purchase for an Astro A40 seeing. Is there a spdif to toslink converter? Or am I imagining things that there is no such thing.
July 7, 2012 5:09:15 AM

fantastik250 said:
I was considering a purchase for an Astro A40 seeing. Is there a spdif to toslink converter? Or am I imagining things that there is no such thing.

Yes there is a converter that goes in your toslink and connects to your coaxial cable that how i don it its called RCA female adapter...one side look like a coaxial female and the other side looks like a earphone stereo plug in yes they make them..if your from canada they have them at the source or radio shake
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 7, 2012 5:11:33 AM

I just use the onboard optical port for my A30's and mixamp. :D 
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 7, 2012 6:29:32 AM

I'm not hating on the STX, I'm just point out that its a total waste of cash to use its digital output. Why spend $180 on the best DAC on the market, then not even bother to use it?

Nevermind that all gaming headsets are trash; I went from a Sennheiser PC350 paired with my Xonar Xense [they come bundled together] to an Audio Technica ATH-m50. Light and day.

Just for kicks, I pulled out my old Tritton AX Pro's and hooked them up via optical, just for kicks. They were horrid in comparison.

There is no reason to buy a soundcard to use its optical output. Ever. Keep the STX, but get a headset that actually takes advantages of its abilities.
July 7, 2012 6:38:41 AM

I know, I just wanted to know if the amps from both components would just be incompatible or just one takes over the other.
!