Mobile Equipment Sim Toolkit Question...

Last response: in Technologies
April 25, 2005 10:47:47 AM

Hi there everybody

Im pretty new mobile development, I'm attempting to write an
application work base on SMS, that I found I can do this by using SIM
Toolkit.
I've tried to locate more detailed information relating to the SIM
APPLICATION TOOLKIT, specifically code and implementation examples.
However all information received so far simply points me towards the
Manufacturers of the Sim cards and their(the Manufacturers) SIM TOOLKIT
Specifications. Which is great, but really doesn't help in any
practical way. I need some practical code examples demonstrating the
access and usage of the information retained on a SIM card.

Thanks for your time and any help you can offer.

Davar
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 11:07:30 AM

hotpepper@gmail.com wrote:

> Im pretty new mobile development, I'm attempting to write an
> application work base on SMS, that I found I can do this by
> using SIM Toolkit.
> I've tried to locate more detailed information relating to the
> SIM APPLICATION TOOLKIT, specifically code and implementation
> examples. However all information received so far simply
> points me towards the Manufacturers of the Sim cards and
> their(the Manufacturers) SIM TOOLKIT Specifications. Which is
> great, but really doesn't help in any practical way. I need
> some practical code examples demonstrating the access and
> usage of the information retained on a SIM card.

Just in case you're not aware of this, most Siemens phones that
support "AT" commands over a serial connection (cable, IrDA, or
Bluetooth) implement a Siemens-specific command, "AT^SSTK",
which lets you run STK (SIM Toolkit) TLV (Tag, Length, Value)
commands over the serial connection. This might be a useful
introduction for you. Personally, this has been my only
programming exposure to STK, and I use it to gather
netmonitoring information.

I take it you've got a copy of GSM 11.14 (STK specification).
You can read a Siemens phone's STK Profile with "AT^SSTK=?",
getting a response like "^SSTK:
7FFFFFFF7F0F00DF7F00001F2300000003". From there, it's a matter
of constructing GSM 11.14 TLV commands conforming to this
profile, and interpreting the results.

The Siemens documentation mentions the "AT^SSTK" command without
really telling you how to use it. Basically, you enter a
command like

AT^SSTK=99

where "99" is the length (or a larger number) of the TLV command
you're running. Then you wait for the ">" prompt, and enter
the TLV command itself terminated with <ctrl-Z>, eg

D009810301260082028381

You'll receive a response like:

^SSTK: 810301260082028281830100930705F51010301401

If nothing else, the above examples might serve as an
introduction to TLV syntax. I can work through them with you
if you need to do that.

John
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 9:27:01 AM

Dear John,

Thank you for your kind reply,
May I have your email address to ask you more about STK? My email is:

htpepper AT gmail DOT com

Thank you again, and waiting for your response

Davar

John Henderson wrote:
> hotpepper@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Im pretty new mobile development, I'm attempting to write an
> > application work base on SMS, that I found I can do this by
> > using SIM Toolkit.
> > I've tried to locate more detailed information relating to the
> > SIM APPLICATION TOOLKIT, specifically code and implementation
> > examples. However all information received so far simply
> > points me towards the Manufacturers of the Sim cards and
> > their(the Manufacturers) SIM TOOLKIT Specifications. Which is
> > great, but really doesn't help in any practical way. I need
> > some practical code examples demonstrating the access and
> > usage of the information retained on a SIM card.
>
> Just in case you're not aware of this, most Siemens phones that
> support "AT" commands over a serial connection (cable, IrDA, or
> Bluetooth) implement a Siemens-specific command, "AT^SSTK",
> which lets you run STK (SIM Toolkit) TLV (Tag, Length, Value)
> commands over the serial connection. This might be a useful
> introduction for you. Personally, this has been my only
> programming exposure to STK, and I use it to gather
> netmonitoring information.
>
> I take it you've got a copy of GSM 11.14 (STK specification).
> You can read a Siemens phone's STK Profile with "AT^SSTK=?",
> getting a response like "^SSTK:
> 7FFFFFFF7F0F00DF7F00001F2300000003". From there, it's a matter
> of constructing GSM 11.14 TLV commands conforming to this
> profile, and interpreting the results.
>
> The Siemens documentation mentions the "AT^SSTK" command without
> really telling you how to use it. Basically, you enter a
> command like
>
> AT^SSTK=99
>
> where "99" is the length (or a larger number) of the TLV command
> you're running. Then you wait for the ">" prompt, and enter
> the TLV command itself terminated with <ctrl-Z>, eg
>
> D009810301260082028381
>
> You'll receive a response like:
>
> ^SSTK: 810301260082028281830100930705F51010301401
>
> If nothing else, the above examples might serve as an
> introduction to TLV syntax. I can work through them with you
> if you need to do that.
>
> John
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 2:01:19 AM

Sim Toolkit development has definitelty become easy now after SIM card
vendors have agreed on having an Interoperable STK. So, there are
Interoperable guidelines also do develop STKs. Its no longer
proprietary.

The best approach is to download 11.14 and GSM 03.19 Technical
Specifications from etsi.org and then try it on your own.

Hope this helps!
Cheers
!