Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

September 29, 2004 11:16:47 AM

Up til this morning, when I used "Windows Explorer" to
look at the photos in a file (or in a camera), I could
click on a thumbnail, and have the file displayed
in "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer", AND, if I clicked on
the icon for editing in the menu bar (CTRL E), the photo
would be put into software installed with my camera
(something called "Photosuite").

Now, mysteriously, when I click the "edit" icon, the photo
is put into Windows "Paint".

How do I change the default Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
editor back to my old software?

Thanks.
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 11:58:06 PM

Default editor is mspaint. To change the default editor to a third-party
program, reinstall the respective application, or directly set the registry
entry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell\edit\command

In the right-pane, set the value of (default) to the full path of the editor
program which you want to use.

Examples:
REG_EXPAND_SZ
"%systemroot%\system32\mspaint.exe" "%1"

REG_SZ
c:\windows\system32\mspaint.exe" "%1"
-or-
"c:\program files\my editor\editor.exe" "%1"

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

!