Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Virus moved system folders to desktop

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
January 8, 2012 9:41:12 PM

Libraries, Homegroup, User, Computer, Network, and Control Panel are showing up under Desktop in windows explorer. I recently removed the fake system malware virus, which just refused to die. Everything works, but I really don't want to have to reinstall everything if I can help it.
What I want to know is how to move all the system folders back where they belong.
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2012 10:43:12 PM

redappleorigin said:
Libraries, Homegroup, User, Computer, Network, and Control Panel are showing up under Desktop in windows explorer. I recently removed the fake system malware virus, which just refused to die. Everything works, but I really don't want to have to reinstall everything if I can help it.
What I want to know is how to move all the system folders back where they belong.

Definitely DO NOT do a Windows System Restore. You should delete all your Restore points, or you may accidently reintroduce the infection.

Run a sfc /scannow or repair-install the OS from CD.
m
0
l
January 8, 2012 11:04:12 PM

If something like that happened to me, and i did manage to remove it...the OS would always seem dirty to me and i would end up formatting. Its hard to know if you got it all.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 8 Security
a c 395 $ Windows 7
January 8, 2012 11:14:22 PM

Clean Install!
m
0
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2012 11:15:21 PM

dormantreign said:
If something like that happened to me, and i did manage to remove it...the OS would always seem dirty to me and i would end up formatting. Its hard to know if you got it all.

I completely agree with you, just giving him other alternative since he indicated he didn't want to reinstall..
m
0
l
a b 8 Security
a c 395 $ Windows 7
January 8, 2012 11:16:54 PM

Like dormantreign stated,I just would feel like i never got rid of all of it!
m
0
l
January 9, 2012 12:38:34 PM

Thank you everyone. There are somethings that I don't have the keys for anymore and just don't want to reinstall if I can avoid it but I think that's what I'll go ahead and do.
m
0
l
January 9, 2012 12:48:12 PM

usually you can find the keys again thou in the registry.. i would try to find all the keys u can and do a clean install...
m
0
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2012 8:28:20 PM

redappleorigin said:
Thank you everyone. There are somethings that I don't have the keys for anymore and just don't want to reinstall if I can avoid it but I think that's what I'll go ahead and do.

Magic Jelly bean will give you the key.
http://download.cnet.com/Magical-Jelly-Bean-Keyfinder/3...
m
0
l
!