Is there any difference between Trinity and Piledriver?

Hi,

I though that Trinity and Piledriver are the same thing.
but now I know they are different .. so what is the difference? which is better?

which has the same socket AM3+ ?
which will released in 2 months?


and does Phenom ii x4 965 Black Edition fit with asus Sabertooth? and is it better in gaming than Fx-8120?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131736


thank you,
20 answers Last reply
More about difference trinity piledriver
  1. Piledriver is or atleast was last I knew about it the new bulldozer successor and will be using am3+. Trinity is the new APU they are releaseing and will be using an FM2 socket which is incompatible with FM1.

    (guys correct me if im wrong, I haven't kept up to date on amds cpu lineup since bulldozer hurt my feelings :) )

    Yes that cpu will work.
  2. amd has 2 lines of cpus
    one for processing only
    the other for apu

    trinity is an apu that is replacing the llano apu chips. the fx series and phenom/athlon series are the mainstream cpus. trinity is using a piledriver architecture ontop of a bulldozer build to power it iirc.
  3. umm ... ok now for gamong wich is better?

    cpu or apu ( piledriver or trinity ).. giving that I will buy a gpu card.

    and which one will be released in august?
  4. With a separate GPU, Piledriver will be the better choice. And Trinity is what will be released in August with Piledriver tentatively set for October.
  5. DJDeCiBeL said:
    With a separate GPU, Piledriver will be the better choice. And Trinity is what will be released in August.


    Are you sure ... ok, does any one know when will piledriver released?

    and for gaming which is better ... Phenom ii x4 965 Black Edition Or FX-8120 ?
    I will buy it just until Pile drivere be released.
  6. Kindi said:
    Are you sure ... ok, does any one know when will piledriver released?

    and for gaming which is better ... Phenom ii x4 965 Black Edition Or FX-8120 ?
    I will buy it just until Pile drivere be released.


    Read my edit to my reply, but Piledriver is tentatively set for October.

    For the interim, to get you through to October, the Phenom II X4 965 is the better choice for gaming.
  7. DJDeCiBeL said:
    Read my edit to my reply, but Piledriver is tentatively set for October.

    For the interim, to get you through to October, the Phenom II X4 965 is the better choice for gaming.


    Thank you ... :)
  8. every answer is the best ... thank you all !
  9. If you can afford an 8120 save a little bit more and get an Intel i5 that is unless you already have an AM3+ board. PD should be an improvement on FX but it's pretty unlikely it will catch up to Intels Ivybridge so buying Phenom/FX now then PD in a few months time will cost more than just buying i5 now and likely give lesser performance.
  10. wr6133 said:
    If you can afford an 8120 save a little bit more and get an Intel i5 that is unless you already have an AM3+ board. PD should be an improvement on FX but it's pretty unlikely it will catch up to Intels Ivybridge so buying Phenom/FX now then PD in a few months time will cost more than just buying i5 now and likely give lesser performance.


    THAT'S very true, but I wasn't about to start a flame war, especially considering my avatar pegs me as an Intel fanboy, LOL.
  11. I know that guys ... I know that Intel now is better than amd.
    but I don't like buy something that whole of the world have it ..
    Or I can say .. I'm comfortable with amd's :)
    but as I said intel is better than amd.


    and I will see it again about buying Intel's processors.
  12. I've always been an AMD user but it's just undeniable now that if your gaming and can afford an i5 its the way to go. I'll argue till blue in the face that Phenom II is better than i3 but FX better than i5 is a daydream and PD i doubt greatly is going to even worry intel unless AMD come in at a very very competetive pricepoint which as we have seen with the higher end FX chips they won't do.
  13. wr6133 said:
    I've always been an AMD user but it's just undeniable now that if your gaming and can afford an i5 its the way to go. I'll argue till blue in the face that Phenom II is better than i3 but FX better than i5 is a daydream and PD i doubt greatly is going to even worry intel unless AMD come in at a very very competetive pricepoint which as we have seen with the higher end FX chips they won't do.

    If I will buy i5 it will coast 239.99 $ and about 200 $ for mothoreboard ...

    We wish that PD will be better .. it's good for customers.
  14. What rig do you have now? If your heart is really set on AMD and Piledriver maybe soldier on with your current set up then buy PD rather than buy essentially 2 CPU's for the same platform within a very short space of each other.
  15. wr6133 said:
    What rig do you have now? If your heart is really set on AMD and Piledriver maybe soldier on with your current set up then buy PD rather than buy essentially 2 CPU's for the same platform within a very short space of each other.


    like I said in my firs thread I'm not good in English ... so I don't understand what you really mean ... but there is no rig !
    I want AMD's processor and I know that Intel's is better.

    if you mean that how I can buy a phenom and after few months buy another cpu and can't buy i5 and its motherboard .. I'm in the summer now and that all I can get and I don't want to miss my holidays wating for saving money ... after few months I can get more money so I can buy a better CPU.


    excuse me if I misunderstand you :)
  16. I meant what computer do you have now?

    If you really want Piledriver it maybe best to use what you have now until Piledriver comes out. The option of buying a Phenom II now then in October buying a new Piledriver CPU would be alot of money spent more than if you just bought an i5 now.

    So I guess what i mean is if you really must build right now do it with an i5. If you only want AMD then better to wait until Piledriver comes out then build
  17. An Am3+ mobo will compatible with piledriver and phenom2 (for now), but just to make sure it will compatible buy the 9-series chipset mobo... (It's newer and will get better support than older one)
  18. wr6133 said:
    I meant what computer do you have now?

    If you really want Piledriver it maybe best to use what you have now until Piledriver comes out. The option of buying a Phenom II now then in October buying a new Piledriver CPU would be alot of money spent more than if you just bought an i5 now.

    So I guess what i mean is if you really must build right now do it with an i5. If you only want AMD then better to wait until Piledriver comes out then build


    I have macbook pro ...
    and as I said if I wait until October I will be in university And I won't play as much as I want.
    And I will buy PD not in October maybe 3 months later.

    and I can't buy intel because I don't have enough money ... I want to buy the best gpu I can have.

    I will put my new computer here to have advices. I will build my new computer after 3 weeks.
  19. Hmm. How about an i3 2100 now and a 2500K/3570K later? That may be the best option of them all in your situation.
  20. Mybe ... I will see ... I have 3 weeks to make a decision
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Trinity Product