Sign in with
Your question

New Build advice

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 22, 2011 7:48:05 PM

Greetings everyone. I am new here and to the PC build and overclocking community and after finding several helpful and incitefull threads on this site I have decided to join up and post some issues I've run across on this, my first time having a go at a full system build.
I've posted my build in my profile.
My question here is I currently have a HIS Radeon 6950 HD IceQx Turbo, shaders unlocked to 6970 bios then I oc a bit to 1.175v/930c/1475m. I can benchmark a bit higher (I think it was a max 940 on the core stable in Furmark and TPU Gputool) But in game I crash above 930 on the core is this normal?
Also I did not find that much of an improvement in fps after I overclocked in game as I expected. If really any at all frankly. I currently run a 4 year old mmo (Lord of the Rings Online) and I tell ya when I get into a 12 person raid (24 including pets) the decress in fps is so bad it's almost comparable to my 7 year old dual core intel on a ati x1900 gpu.
I'm wondering maybe if I have missed something fundamental nut stupid on my part? Chipset mb drivers or something? I have the latest ati drivers and such but really haven't touched anything else nor done any overclocking to my FX8120 CPU due to the fact I still have the stock cooler on it and from what I've read you shouldn't try oc with out aftermarket cooling.
Like I said, I'm quite new to all this so any advice would be greatly appreciated
Also if I have posted this in the wrong forum for such questions I appologise. :hello: 

More about : build advice

December 22, 2011 8:20:34 PM

Spend ~30 bucks for a cooler master hyper 212! Then overclock, im sure a lot of mmo characters are calculated in the cpu, it should increase your fps by a lot!
December 22, 2011 8:37:31 PM

Quote:
+1 although the FX series perform worse than phenom II...
A nice OC will definitly help in cpu limited titles.

I'm not sure they're actually worse, only that they're not sufficiently better as they should be for being the next generation of CPUs. Have benchmarks shown that they actually perform worse?

Just curious, I realize I might be totally wrong on that.
Related resources
December 22, 2011 8:48:12 PM

ringzero said:
I'm not sure they're actually worse, only that they're not sufficiently better as they should be for being the next generation of CPUs. Have benchmarks shown that they actually perform worse?

Just curious, I realize I might be totally wrong on that.

Yes they perform a lot worse, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-power-consumptio...
December 22, 2011 9:11:07 PM

Ok so MMOs pull alot off the CPU? Good to know. I will get better cooling for the CPU and overclock as soon as I can. Anything else I may be missing here? My 3Dmark 11 scores after gpu overclock were around P5546 or something like that (don't have exact numbers cause I'm at work ATM) is this an ok score for such a set up?
Also would any outdated mb Chipset drivers cause issues or maybe something in my bios I have not set up properly?
Quite sad about the fx series CPU performance wise. I had heard they were good. Guess I should have waited and saved up for I7 maybe :pfff: 
To late now.
Thanks for the advice guys. All other advice to come I appreciate.
December 22, 2011 9:23:28 PM

Yes its best to update the motherboard/chipset drivers and also the bios to the latest edition as they include fixes to known problems.
Shame about the FX series I must say , but at least they are quite affordable.
!