Help finding a good graphics card?

I am building a Gaming Computer for a friend and want a decent graphics card costing around $50. He will be upgrading around march but I need to find one that will hold off till then. He would like to run games like Killing Floor
This is what I built so far:
APEX SK-393-C Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Maxtor HDMXDX4R160L0 160GB 5400 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 / ATA-7 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL
AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX455WFGMBOX
4 answers Last reply
More about help finding good graphics card
  1. you play killing floor also? Me 2! :D 50 bucks won't get you far, but the 6570 would be the only thing I can suggest. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102934
  2. Buy cheaper memory and buy a faster video card. Also a 160 gig 5400 drive is horrible, first it's too small, and 5400 is very slow for a "gaming" computer, or any desktop unless it's going into a silent low power system, and it's Ultra ATA insead of SATA. Need a 7200 drive.

You have half higher end components and filling it with dogs in other areas. OCZ modular PSU, Ripjaws RAM and a 5400 RPM ATA drive??
  3. hang-the-9 said:
    Buy cheaper memory and buy a faster video card. Also a 160 gig 5400 drive is horrible, first it's too small, and 5400 is very slow for a "gaming" computer, or any desktop unless it's going into a silent low power system, and it's Ultra ATA insead of SATA. Need a 7200 drive.

You have half higher end components and filling it with dogs in other areas. OCZ modular PSU, Ripjaws RAM and a 5400 RPM ATA drive??

He will be upgrading all the lower end stuff in march, so Im just building him something just to get to march, any suggestions?
  4. Penley54 said:
    He will be upgrading all the lower end stuff in march, so Im just building him something just to get to march, any suggestions?

I would not spend that much on a video card to be trashed later.

Cheaper ram and a faster video card is still what I'd suggest. The lowest card you can really play games on is a 5670 which is pretty close to a 6770, and the 6770 is good enough to keep for a while, although won't play on high settings for a while.

Check used stuff on craigslist maybe. Plenty of 7200 rpm drives and video cards listed. Just make sure you test them first.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics Cards Graphics Product