Disadvantages of Going Crossfire Against Single Card- True?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacman_74

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Hello.

Planning on assembling a PC to replace my old one. Thinking of getting two HD6850/6870s in crossfire instead of buying a GTX570. But friends have told me that going CF will have disadvantages like increased power draw and needing a watercooling solution.

Are these true? Now I'm second guessing myself and need some quick guidance. Should I proceed with the CF config or should I go with the single card instead? Appreciate the inputs.

Solution
Single cards are the more reliable option.
It's always best to buy the fastest single card you can afford and use the xfire/sli as an option later when its time for an upgrade, best to have a stronger based single card even if you dont plan on doing it.

reaxion

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011

i run cf 5870's and have no problem at all and i am 100% air cooled, and they use more power then 6870 or 6850 and those solutions will out perform the 570 any day. id go cf, you'll get a better bang for your buck.

have to say i have always went with the one high end card because of some of the reasons already mentioned--such as

Not all games support XFire or SLI and fewer driver issues too.

and temperature increases in your case depending on how well ventilated it is--and more noise from 2 cards

havent found any games yet my overclocked gtx570 wont run at 1920 x 1200--in fact most of them are capped at

60fps by vsync

its a personal choice but googling cross fire problems has always been enough to put me off

monsta

Splendid
Single cards are the more reliable option.
It's always best to buy the fastest single card you can afford and use the xfire/sli as an option later when its time for an upgrade, best to have a stronger based single card even if you dont plan on doing it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.