Sign in with
Your question

PSU burns out when auto-tuning CPU

Last response: in Systems
February 21, 2012 2:23:26 PM

Hi a bought the below components around 2009

AMD Phenom X4 9950 2.6GHz Black Edition Socket AM2+ 125W 4MB L2 Cache (512KBx4)
MSI K9A2 Platinum 790FX Socket AM2+ 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
Kingston 8GB 2x(2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 HyperX Memory CL5 2.2V
Maxtor 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm *32MB Cache* - OEM
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional - 64-bit
Antec 300 Three Hundred Case
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 2GB Vapor-X
Sansun Black True 500W 20/24pin PSU

Everything worked fine up to about a month ago. I would start up the computer and within 5 minutes lines would appear all over the screen and then get the blue screen of death and reboot its self, whilst still having lines all over the screen!

It didn't really bother me at the time as I got into a routine of switching the computer on and go jump in the shower or do something else for about 20 mins as when I came to use the computer everything would be fine.

Then the other week I decided to get to the bottom of the problem and after reading a few forums began to fault find.

I re-seated the memory sticks, booting the computer with each individual stick - no other problems except the screen crash.

I re-seated the graphics card, no change

I re-seated the CPU - cleaning and re-greasing with thermal grease. This time the computer booted up and was operational for at least 2 hours before crashing.

The problem since then has been on and off, sometimes I would go be on the computer for sometime without any thing happening and sometimes it would crash. I have even been able to play Left 4 Dead 2 without any interruptions.

I decided to do an auto-tune of the CPU through AMD Overdrive, that's when the Sansun Black True 500W 20/24pin PSU BLEW UP!

I then bought a replacement PSU - Powercool 650W Modular PSU 80+ Dual 12V V2.2 High Efficiency which also BLEW UP! when I re-attempted the auto-tune.

Anyone know what the exact problem is and what PSU I should buy as I suspect I dont have enough wattage?
February 21, 2012 2:40:22 PM

Stop buying garbage PSUs. Well wait a minute, was the Powercool PSU a PC Power and Cooling PSU? Or was it simply called a Powercool? Corsair, XFX, Antec Earthwatts, Seasonic are all good brands to check out.
Related resources
February 21, 2012 6:52:39 PM

Ok Coolermaster is often referred on here to Crappermaster. Get yourself a nice 450w Seasonic or XFX or Antec Earthwatts. Should be cheaper than that piece of *** and more reliable.
February 21, 2012 7:45:47 PM

Looks like a more solid choice. Also can put newer GPUs on it when you are ready to upgrade that.
February 22, 2012 7:22:12 AM

How do I know that this PSU wont burn out like the others, when I try the CPU tune-up? why does it keep happening?
February 22, 2012 8:12:42 AM

The first two PSU's you had are from cheap brands of the kind that keep changing their name so costumer oppinion will not catch up to them. I have a bit of experience with making this mistake myself. Usually these PSU's might be able to deliver 300W but then they will randomly print 500w or 650w next to the name. some telltale signs includes that a quality PSU should have plenty of connectors for GPU's (a 650w should have at least 2 6/8pin connectors, most of them will have 4) and if your cables are heavier than the actual unit, things are probably wrong!
The XFX core edition 650w is a good choice in terms of quality/price. If you are concerned with costumer support, you can choose the Corsair TX650v2 (which is basically the same).
The difference between these PSU's and the really cheap ones is massive, these will probably be 3 times as heavy. (weight being a decent indicator of PSU quality in general)

EDIT: Looking at things, those PSU's are not the worst I have seen and one even claims 80+ certificate. So that might not be as bad as all that, however they are not of widely known brands either and only one of them has a half decent website. In short, get one of the good brands (antec, coolermaster, xfx and a few other makes mostly good ones but be sure to check some reviews since they also have bad ones. Corsair only have ones that are at least reasonable)
!