Sign in with
Your question

Latest beta nvidia drivers - potential warning

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 22, 2011 8:45:37 PM

I installed the latest beta drivers from nvidia earlier today and am now experiencing problems. I am 90% certain that the first issue arose post driver install, but there's a slight chance that it occured before.

Just a warning, backup first, or at least wait for a week for others to find any major issues.

Symptoms are failing to boot and a very quick bluescreen during the windows icon (it did boot once, but only once), stalling at classpnp.sys in safe mode and then having the same quick boot. I've tried repair from the win7 disk, that got me a slower bsod, with the stop code 0x000000b4, which appears to be video init related. Hence the warning. I'm currently restoring from a backup, to isolate out this being a hardware problem.

My other option is that I've a hdd failing, (the other one of a pair brought at the same time failed about 2 months ago), we'll see after the restore.
Or that my GTX470 has given up, but i've had no warning signs about that.
Or that my M4 has failed spectacularly, the repair didn't seem to find an installation that I was altogether happy with, a 0MB win7 installation?

a b Î Nvidia
December 22, 2011 8:49:31 PM

This is what happened to me, i installed beta drivers that were supposed to improve mw3 performance. originally it was 60+fps now it is 50-60? I think im doing something wrong :( 
December 22, 2011 8:50:52 PM

Perf did seem more unstable in BF3, wouldn't say slower, just more erratic. and now I have 0 FPS in windows :) 
I could have a hardwre issue though.
Related resources
December 22, 2011 8:55:53 PM

I just made another thread about it on accident before I saw this sorry but yeah, same exact thing happened to me. Installed the 290.35 driver and now I get unmountable boot volume bsod right after windows screen. I can't boot in safe mode or in last known configuration so I'm basically stuck. I was going to check to see if there was anything I could do before I do a fresh install....:( 
a c 75 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
December 22, 2011 8:57:09 PM

Have the beta drivers on 2 boxes....no issues as yet:

Rampage Extreme w/ 920 (3.8GHz), EVGA GTX 580, CAS 7 Mushkins
WS Revolution w/ 2600k (4.8GHz), Two 560 Ti (980 Mhz), CAS 7 Mushkins
December 22, 2011 8:57:42 PM

repairdisk and rollback? i've not tried it, have backup from just before. but the restore process is slower than expected hence me thinking I might have other issues.
December 22, 2011 8:58:21 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Have the beta drivers on 2 boxes....no issues as yet:

Rampage Extreme w/ 920 (3.8GHz), EVGA GTX 580, CAS 7 Mushkins
WS Revolution w/ 2600k (4.8GHz), Two 560 Ti (980 Mhz), CAS 7 Mushkins

leaning in a different direction as we speak.
December 22, 2011 9:02:54 PM

jack are you on 290.53? or .36?
December 22, 2011 9:08:18 PM

13thmonkey said:
repairdisk and rollback? i've not tried it, have backup from just before. but the restore process is slower than expected hence me thinking I might have other issues.

Exact same thing here too man....takes like 5 minutes for Vista recovery cd to even read....then even more time for the options.
December 23, 2011 10:08:47 AM

Well so far, i've attempted to restore twice from windows home server, once fully, once just the system drive, both seemed very slow and only partially responsive.
I've now reset the bios, removed the main gpu and am using a secondary one (feeling is its less likely to an issue) and am again trying a system drive restore, seems more responsive.

Leads me to think of a couple of things, bios corruption (as the issue presented after being put into standby, could the cat have turned the UPS off? and back on again, i've had off before but never off and on (there's room for an aliens quote about them being just animals here)).
GPU failure, Secondary HDD failure, Sata controller failure, bad memory.
The increased responsiveness after the removal of GPU could be it having to load fewer/simpler drivers, or it could be a bad GPU.
My money for now is on the Bios reset being important.
Prior to this i've had no issues since changing from my sandforce dive to an M4. Hence thinking it is a 'loaded' or rotating part that is an issue, and not the memory. The matched pair to the data drive failed about 2 months ago and i've still got its warrantied replacement in a bag, so this one could be due to fail.

All in all a bit of a puzzle, am becoming inclined (loosely) to not believe it is the drivers, but i would be un-surprised if it was.

If any one hasd any ideas please put them forward, but i'm mainly using this as a place to dump the thought processes in case they help someone else.

December 23, 2011 10:38:42 AM

restore failed to one hdd, suspect it is bad, restoring programs and data to alternate hdd.
December 23, 2011 5:38:13 PM

I think it was a dud HDD or a corrupted bios, seems to be ok now that I have restored to 290.36. Whether this is a coincidence or not I am not sure.
December 23, 2011 6:54:43 PM

well i'll stick to 290.36 for a while, wait for wqhl, too many possible causes
December 29, 2011 1:23:16 PM

looks like HDD failure, after running off another HDD whilst testing the original all was well, swapped back to old hdd and i'm getting bsods again. Its sister drive went about 3 months ago, so I'm happy that this is the cause.
December 29, 2011 1:38:36 PM

Downloaded the beta this morning and was going to install tonight.

Thanks for the heads up.
December 29, 2011 1:46:13 PM

I'm now 90% convinced its a hdd issue, but it wouldn't be the first time they've had an issue.
!