Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 64bit taking forever to boot up with IDE in use

Last response: in Windows 7
January 8, 2012 10:15:28 PM

Hi,

I recently noticed my computer taking long to bootup (stuck on the Windows Logo screen for about 5 minutes or more) when I have my extra IDE Harddrive and CD Drive plugged in. However, when I unplug both of them, the computer boots faster. I was wondering what might be causing this problem.

a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2012 10:21:56 PM

Run scandisk on your IDE drive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2012 10:22:57 PM

Also, temporarily leave the cd rom drive disconnected
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2012 10:51:22 PM

It may sound odd... but have you changed the IDE cables? This happened to me once
m
l
January 8, 2012 11:53:50 PM

I had unplugged the IDE cables and replugged them in.
m
l
January 9, 2012 12:03:25 AM

There are two types of IDE cables, theres an 80 wire and an older 40 wire, both will work but only one is supposed by for the ATA 100 and 130, eyeball the IDE cable if the wires in the cable look fat that might be the issue. Probably not but....worth checking.
m
l
January 9, 2012 1:16:36 AM

It looks like its a 80 wire IDE cable.

An interesting thing is that the CD drive is not being recognized in device manager, even though it shows up in the boot options in BIOS. However, the Harddrive which is on it is recognized, and usable.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2012 1:26:18 AM

Make sure that both the HD and the CD drive are jumpered to CS; It sounds like one of them is not set that way.
m
l
January 9, 2012 4:36:08 PM

The cable is made in a way so it can only be put in one way. Another thing that I noticed is that I was able to boot with an Ubuntu CD. The problem only occurs if I attempt to use the Windows 7 CD.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2012 5:01:45 PM

No, the Cable Select (CS), Master/Slave settings are not with the cable; They are on the hard drive and CD rom/dvd rom drive;
Do you have the Hard drive and the CD rom drive hooked up to the same IDE cable?
m
l
January 9, 2012 6:33:03 PM

danny2000 said:
No, the Cable Select (CS), Master/Slave settings are not with the cable; They are on the hard drive and CD rom/dvd rom drive;
Do you have the Hard drive and the CD rom drive hooked up to the same IDE cable?

Yea, i have them both on the same cable.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2012 6:49:02 PM

Do you know how to check the jumper settings on the hard drive and the cd rom drive?
m
l
January 9, 2012 8:26:47 PM

danny2000 said:
Do you know how to check the jumper settings on the hard drive and the cd rom drive?

I just looked it up on Google now. I tried booting off the Windows 7 disk three times on all three settings.
Cable Select
Master
Slave

I left the hard drive the same though.

CD Drive didn't even show up in the boot menu.

But I just ended up deciding to just buy a new SATA Drive off Newegg because the drive I have is old and IDE is getting outdated(not to mention there so big and restrict airflow) . It only CD Read and Write capabilities and its cream colored so doesn't match my black case.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2012 8:48:12 PM

I would try setting the hard drive to CS and the CD drive to CS also on the jumpers.
You didn't state what the hard drive was jumpered to.
m
l
!