How to determine what processor I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoisme555

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I was at a garage sale yesterday and saw a box for a processor. Upon closer look the box was for an I7-920. The chip inside was basically unlabeled, and I have no idea of knowing if it's actually an I7-920 or just a random throwaway. I figured for $5 it was worth the unlikely gamble. Best case scenario, I upgrade from my I5-750, worst case, I throw it away.

Is there a way of finding out exactly what processor this is?

Solution
You can try comparing the underside of that CPU with a picture of a i7-920
That's a good start.
intel_i7_920_02.jpg

You might find a computer repair shop that can test the CPU for you. An even smarter move, IMO.

whoisme555

Distinguished
May 24, 2010

I know that already. I'd be changing out the motherboard as well.

I'm just wondering if theres any way of finding out what processor is in this box short of buying a motherboard and rebuilding my computer

LokalHero

Honorable
May 2, 2012
If the printing on the CPU is worn off, unlikely if it's an i7-920 (they're not that old), then you'll have to throw it in a mobo and test it that way.

If the printing has indeed worn off, that could be down to overheating, so it may already be dead. Is it worth the risk in getting a board for it? I wouldn't have thought so, skt1366 boards are still pretty expensive.

whoisme555

Distinguished
May 24, 2010

It does look exactly like that, thanks for the response.

It is, however missing markings, so if what LokalHero says is correct, it may have overheated. Which would obviously explain why a $300 processor was $5 at a garage sale. I'm not too broken hearted over it, but I think I will see if there's a computer repair shop in town that I can bring this over to. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.