Sign in with
Your question

High Temperatures while playing BF3

Last response: in CPUs
June 8, 2012 3:26:24 PM

Hi,

while i was playing Battlefield 3 on my pc for about 1 hour and it started lagging. I quit the game and found out from SpeedFan and MSI Afterburner that my system get high temperatures while playing Battlefield 3. The idle temp of my CPU (Intel Core Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz OCed to 3Ghz after market cooler) is 40-50 Celsius and my GPU (GTX 560 non Ti) 30-50 and when i was playing the temperatures went to 70-75 :fou:  for both GPU and CPU.
When the game was starting lagging i touched the side part of the pc case where the motherboard is. It had become hot especially the part where the PSU is. After exiting the game the temps fell immediately from 70-75 to 40-50. I play battlefield 3 on High Settings with some options to Medium and VSync on and Anti-Aliasing off.
Thanks!!

Intel Quad Core Q8400 2.66Ghz OCed to 3Ghz with after market cooler.
GTX 560 non-Ti Gigabyte edition.
4 GB of RAM
2 HDDs. One Seagate 500GB and one WD 650 GB.
Hantol PSU 685 Watt
Asus Vento Case
Asus P5KPL-AM EPU MOBO

P.S.: is there a way the CPU bottlenecks the GPU?
June 8, 2012 5:35:48 PM

JordanK27 said:
Hi,

while i was playing Battlefield 3 on my pc for about 1 hour and it started lagging. I quit the game and found out from SpeedFan and MSI Afterburner that my system get high temperatures while playing Battlefield 3. The idle temp of my CPU (Intel Core Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz OCed to 3Ghz after market cooler) is 40-50 Celsius and my GPU (GTX 560 non Ti) 30-50 and when i was playing the temperatures went to 70-75 :fou:  for both GPU and CPU.
When the game was starting lagging i touched the side part of the pc case where the motherboard is. It had become hot especially the part where the PSU is. After exiting the game the temps fell immediately from 70-75 to 40-50. I play battlefield 3 on High Settings with some options to Medium and VSync on and Anti-Aliasing off.
Thanks!!

Intel Quad Core Q8400 2.66Ghz OCed to 3Ghz with after market cooler.
GTX 560 non-Ti Gigabyte edition.
4 GB of RAM
2 HDDs. One Seagate 500GB and one WD 650 GB.
Hantol PSU 685 Watt
Asus Vento Case
Asus P5KPL-AM EPU MOBO

P.S.: is there a way the CPU bottlenecks the GPU?

Maybe it's your case it does not have enough ventilation? That's why the temperatures are plummeting
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2012 5:47:03 PM

The gpu temp is normal
The cpu you may need to reseat the heatsink with thermal compound
there are many methods I always use the card method; just spread it very thin and slap the heatsink on
A bottleneck doesnt typically display as stuttering and high temps
Related resources
June 8, 2012 8:38:00 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
The gpu temp is normal
The cpu you may need to reseat the heatsink with thermal compound
there are many methods I always use the card method; just spread it very thin and slap the heatsink on
A bottleneck doesnt typically display as stuttering and high temps

Thanks for the advice i am going to replace the thermal compound and let you know what happens. I don't remember the last time i replaced it but i think it was in the start of 2012 or in the end of 2011. I don't mean that the bottleneck is responsible for the high temps i am just asking if the cpu is bottlenecking the gpu.
June 8, 2012 8:40:40 PM

battlefield161 said:
Maybe it's your case it does not have enough ventilation? That's why the temperatures are plummeting

Thanks for the reply.I have two case fans, one in the front of the case and on at the back. I think that the one in front is better than the one at the back. I also have the one side of the case open now.
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2012 10:05:17 PM

JordanK27 said:
Thanks for the advice i am going to replace the thermal compound and let you know what happens. I don't remember the last time i replaced it but i think it was in the start of 2012 or in the end of 2011. I don't mean that the bottleneck is responsible for the high temps i am just asking if the cpu is bottlenecking the gpu.

i wouldnt think your cpu would bottleneck that particular gpu especially when overclocked.
as far as the temps go, you could have applied either too much or not enough compound when setting the heat sink.
did you recently overclock your cpu or have you been running stable for a while>?
June 8, 2012 10:21:00 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
i wouldnt think your cpu would bottleneck that particular gpu especially when overclocked.
as far as the temps go, you could have applied either too much or not enough compound when setting the heat sink.
did you recently overclock your cpu or have you been running stable for a while>?

My CPU is overclocked since the 2011 summer or 1-2 months later. The computer is stable and i have also ran prime 98 test that with the after market cooler i got cooler results than with the stock cooler. I think it is also that we have a hot summer here in my country (30+ Celsius, August 40 Celsius) because the temps wasn't so high 1-2 months before when the weather wasn't so hot.
I am going to leave home for Saturday and return in Sunday afternoon and i will replace the thermal paste and let you know the results maybe in Monday cause i want to play battlefield 3 for about 2 or more hours when it is noon and hot.
Thanks!
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2012 11:16:48 PM

+1 GPU = normal
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2012 11:24:00 PM

try prime 95 and see what it does to your temps
June 11, 2012 12:27:13 PM

I replaced the thermal compound with new one and with prime 95 i only get 60-65 oC. That's pretty good. I am going to try now with Battlefield 3.
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2012 7:18:41 PM

Pls report back with what you find
June 11, 2012 7:50:27 PM

I tested CPU with BF3 for 1 hour and the temps were about 60-68 oC like with Prime 95. Looks like the CPU needed a thermal compound replacement. Thanks for the advice everyone!

a b à CPUs
June 11, 2012 8:10:37 PM

Np glad I could solve this issue for you
June 11, 2012 8:28:02 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
Np glad I could solve this issue for you

:) 
!