Sign in with
Your question

Computer Crashes? GPU failing? Look at picture

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 22, 2011 10:26:29 PM

Hey guys,

This last while, my pc has been crashing. I didn't think it was anything to worry about, but it's now becoming more frequent.

When it happens, this happens:

What do you think is causing this to happen?

SETUP:

XFX 6950
Powercool 500W PSU
AMD X4 955
Gigabyte 990FXA UD3
2x Western Digital 500GB RAID 0

I would really appreciate it if you could help out!
Thanks!
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 22, 2011 10:31:47 PM

I suspect it is the PSU.But from that crash screen it could also be the GPU.Do you have a different GPU you can test with?

How many amps are on the +12/v rail(s)?
a c 232 U Graphics card
December 22, 2011 10:49:16 PM

Anytime I have seen that, I made t go away w/ a replacement GFX card.
Related resources
December 22, 2011 10:55:02 PM

your gpu might be overheating that causes those crashes!it could also be underpowered! do you overclock your system. an insane oc could cause random crashes or bsod,
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2011 10:58:45 PM

Quote:
Powercool 500W PSU

There's your problem :pfff:  \

I doubt it can put out a true 400w, I'm sure she took all she could, surprised she didn't blow right away and take out your mobo and gpu.
a c 254 U Graphics card
December 22, 2011 10:59:16 PM

A 6950 is a top quality card and it requires a 500w psu be in the computer to power it and since Powercool is not a top brand name then I would say that the power supply is not providing enough power for that card. At this point you can get a power supply for less than a new card so I would try that and see if it will power it up without crashing and if not and you have to RMA the card then you will have a good decent psu for the card.

SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$69.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You could upgrade to this psu and have enough power with some extra to spare and it is a quality brand name.
December 22, 2011 11:15:08 PM

Thanks for the support guys!

Unfortunately I don't have another graphics card I can try. I just took off the door of the case, and felt and listened to the PSU. A whine is coming out of it, lasting for about 2-3 seconds and pauses for one before beginning to whine again very quietly. Under a bit of strain, the whine gets louder. I'm a bit scared of how long this has been going on for unnoticed. I put this PSU into this PC until I got a better one, and after thinking it was doing the job well, I left it in. Wish now I hadn't. Was a very stupid move!! Will take the GPU out, and run the computer without it until I get a decent PSU put in.

Thanks so much for all your help. I'll let you know if the PSU was in fact the problem. Will order a new one in the morning hopefully
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 22, 2011 11:35:52 PM

The whine could be the bearing on the PSU fan.If the PSU fan is PWM controlled then that would explain why it gets louder when their is more load.

Do you have a onboard GPU?
January 13, 2012 3:31:21 PM

Thanks guys for all the help.

I replaced the PSU two days ago, and everything has been running smooth until there now. It crashed again leaving that screen that I posted a picture of in the original post.

Must be the graphics card.

Will contact XFX and see what they say.
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 13, 2012 8:17:14 PM

Could be a motherboard issue as well.Might want to look into that After you check on the card.
!