v551 Frozen ?s

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 11, 2005 1:23:52 AM

Have a new v551 (switiching from ATTWS. less than 30 days) that "froze"
today.

Phone has been working well and I like the switch from my StarTac (I'm
that early adopter of new technology ;)  ;)  ) to the v551 GSM.

Today I was testing/learning about text messaging.

I sent two text messages from my wife's Cingular cell to my v551.

When I got back to my office the external display was active (light on)
and showed the partial globe and text messages. However when I opened
the phone, nothing. Screen stayed off/dark. And when I tried to turn it
on or off, nothing happened.

I called Cingular Customer Care and they were starting to ask me for the
serial number by having me remove the battery. When I put the battery
back in the phone, the phone started up and all seems fine.

Customer Care said this is like a computer freeze and may never happen
again but if it does they will....I'm not sure what he said, I think he
said replace it.

My question is: does this happen frequently with cell phones? I never
experienced it with my StarTac or my wife's StarTac or v60.

Does this freeze (or whatever it is called) mean more problems ahead?
And if so, should I ask Cingular or Motorola to replace it now? I would
prefer keeping this phone rather than going through that hassle if the
probability is that this was a one time thing.

Thanks for any advice.

--
Please send email to: nwhiii at yahoo dot com

More about : v551 frozen

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 1:23:53 AM

Norm wrote:

> Does this freeze (or whatever it is called)
> mean more problems ahead? ...

More freezes, probably.

My 551 has frozen three times. Twice I
could recycle it by turning it off, then
on with the buttons. Once I had to pull
the battery as you did.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 5:06:46 PM

Heh Norm,

I also migrated from the old reliable StarTac and ATTWS. As for the v551,
the freezing is (was) a known problem with this phone. To bad, since
initially it seemed like a modern perfect replacement for the Startac except
for the lack of a perfect plastic belt holster. BEFORE, you call the
company (Moto or Cing) do yourself a favor and Google search on the v551
freeze problem and you will find it common. That way, when you call them,
you will not be simply brushed aside.

Jimmy

"Norm" <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
> Have a new v551 (switiching from ATTWS. less than 30 days) that "froze"
> today.
>
> Phone has been working well and I like the switch from my StarTac (I'm
> that early adopter of new technology ;)  ;)  ) to the v551 GSM.
>
> Today I was testing/learning about text messaging.
>
> I sent two text messages from my wife's Cingular cell to my v551.
>
> When I got back to my office the external display was active (light on)
> and showed the partial globe and text messages. However when I opened
> the phone, nothing. Screen stayed off/dark. And when I tried to turn it
> on or off, nothing happened.
>
> I called Cingular Customer Care and they were starting to ask me for the
> serial number by having me remove the battery. When I put the battery
> back in the phone, the phone started up and all seems fine.
>
> Customer Care said this is like a computer freeze and may never happen
> again but if it does they will....I'm not sure what he said, I think he
> said replace it.
>
> My question is: does this happen frequently with cell phones? I never
> experienced it with my StarTac or my wife's StarTac or v60.
>
> Does this freeze (or whatever it is called) mean more problems ahead?
> And if so, should I ask Cingular or Motorola to replace it now? I would
> prefer keeping this phone rather than going through that hassle if the
> probability is that this was a one time thing.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> --
> Please send email to: nwhiii at yahoo dot com
July 12, 2005 8:07:08 PM

I haqve had cell phones for 15 years and now use v551. I never had a
'lockup'. They will not replace unless it is messed up when they do
the replacement. I most likely never happen again, if it does then
replace it.

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:23:52 -0400, Norm <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote:

>Have a new v551 (switiching from ATTWS. less than 30 days) that "froze"
>today.
>
>Phone has been working well and I like the switch from my StarTac (I'm
>that early adopter of new technology ;)  ;)  ) to the v551 GSM.
>
>Today I was testing/learning about text messaging.
>
>I sent two text messages from my wife's Cingular cell to my v551.
>
>When I got back to my office the external display was active (light on)
>and showed the partial globe and text messages. However when I opened
>the phone, nothing. Screen stayed off/dark. And when I tried to turn it
>on or off, nothing happened.
>
>I called Cingular Customer Care and they were starting to ask me for the
>serial number by having me remove the battery. When I put the battery
>back in the phone, the phone started up and all seems fine.
>
>Customer Care said this is like a computer freeze and may never happen
>again but if it does they will....I'm not sure what he said, I think he
>said replace it.
>
>My question is: does this happen frequently with cell phones? I never
>experienced it with my StarTac or my wife's StarTac or v60.
>
>Does this freeze (or whatever it is called) mean more problems ahead?
>And if so, should I ask Cingular or Motorola to replace it now? I would
>prefer keeping this phone rather than going through that hassle if the
>probability is that this was a one time thing.
>
>Thanks for any advice.
July 19, 2005 8:47:59 PM

The 551 may lock up more than the older StarTac and V60 because it has more
of a "computer" inside it than the older phones. I have the 551 and will
tell you that it did lock up a few times when it was new. (2-3 weeks old)
IMHO I think that the more that the phone is used the less likely that it
will lock up. Maybe Cingular zaps a firmware update to prevent the lock up?
I am however very pleased with my 551.

Jeff
"prc2u" <prc2u@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
>I haqve had cell phones for 15 years and now use v551. I never had a
> 'lockup'. They will not replace unless it is messed up when they do
> the replacement. I most likely never happen again, if it does then
> replace it.
>
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:23:52 -0400, Norm <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Have a new v551 (switiching from ATTWS. less than 30 days) that "froze"
>>today.
>>
>>Phone has been working well and I like the switch from my StarTac (I'm
>>that early adopter of new technology ;)  ;)  ) to the v551 GSM.
>>
>>Today I was testing/learning about text messaging.
>>
>>I sent two text messages from my wife's Cingular cell to my v551.
>>
>>When I got back to my office the external display was active (light on)
>>and showed the partial globe and text messages. However when I opened
>>the phone, nothing. Screen stayed off/dark. And when I tried to turn it
>>on or off, nothing happened.
>>
>>I called Cingular Customer Care and they were starting to ask me for the
>>serial number by having me remove the battery. When I put the battery
>>back in the phone, the phone started up and all seems fine.
>>
>>Customer Care said this is like a computer freeze and may never happen
>>again but if it does they will....I'm not sure what he said, I think he
>>said replace it.
>>
>>My question is: does this happen frequently with cell phones? I never
>>experienced it with my StarTac or my wife's StarTac or v60.
>>
>>Does this freeze (or whatever it is called) mean more problems ahead?
>>And if so, should I ask Cingular or Motorola to replace it now? I would
>>prefer keeping this phone rather than going through that hassle if the
>>probability is that this was a one time thing.
>>
>>Thanks for any advice.

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 9:22:46 PM

In <39aDe.9498$YD3.1358@trndny03> on Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:47:59 GMT, "Jeff"
<jp4500@verizon.net> wrote:

>The 551 may lock up more than the older StarTac and V60 because it has more
>of a "computer" inside it than the older phones. I have the 551 and will
>tell you that it did lock up a few times when it was new. (2-3 weeks old)
>IMHO I think that the more that the phone is used the less likely that it
>will lock up.

I seriously doubt that.

>Maybe Cingular zaps a firmware update to prevent the lock up?

Not possible.

>I am however very pleased with my 551.

It's a very good phone, arguably the best currently available for Cingular.