Your question

New computer old HDD

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
January 11, 2010 8:30:04 PM

Now this might be a strange or newb question. Can I build a new Rig, and put my old harddrive in it that had windows 7-64 bit loaded on it, and fire it up into windows straught away... or do I have to do a clean install. why i ask this question is because i got the win7 upgrade and i dont think you can load it onto a blank drive that didnt have XP or Vista on it with a legal key.

More about : computer hdd

a b $ Windows 7
January 11, 2010 10:42:19 PM

m
l
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
January 11, 2010 11:30:46 PM

Actually Windows is pretty forgiving about moving existing hard drives into newer computers these days. You will definitely have to reactivate your copy of Windows if the motherboard is changing... but give it a shot and see what happens.
m
l
January 11, 2010 11:34:53 PM

It's best to perform a clean install so that Win 7 can "acclimate" itself to your new mobo.
m
l
January 11, 2010 11:55:01 PM

im wondering if it will ask me for my key for windows XP... my buddy bought the upgrade but had the Beta version of win7 ultimate on his rig, and his upgrade worked no questions asked... so i guess if worst comes to worse, i can load on XP with my old key then instantly do a clean install of 7 right after.
m
l
!