Sign in with
Your question

GPU upgrade dilemma considering going SLI 570's but...

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • SLI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 23, 2011 12:32:23 AM

Hello,

I am expecting a pretty significant financial aid refund check for next semester, and am thinking of beefing up my system for the future, or at least for the next couple of years or so.

As my title suggests, I have a evga GTX 570 HD Double shot, and I am debating on whether to get a second 570 for SLI as I would like to play BF3 multi-player on ultra at 1920x1200 at 60+ fps.

However, I have done research and have learned that some people have complained about terrible micro-stuttering with SLI 570's due to vram limitations. This worries me a bit, as I do not want to spend money on another card if I will still encounter performance issues.

My system is i5 2500k OC'd @ 4.5ghz, Asus P8P67 pro, 8gb 1600mhz DDR3 ram, samsung spinpoint f3 1tb HDD, and corsair tx750v2 psu.

Anybody running a similar set-up wtih SLI 570's? And if so, how is your performance in BF3 mp at max settings?

If vram limitations produce micro-stuttering on a game breaking level, how will a GTX 590 or HD 6990 stack up in terms of performance, power consumption, and heat?

I would really like to simply go for another 570 as it's cheaper, but I am open for other suggestions and other options as well.

More about : gpu upgrade dilemma sli 570

a c 181 U Graphics card
December 23, 2011 1:01:53 AM

With your resolution it is border line with more Vram or not and if you get another 570 with 2GB of Vram and you put it with the 570 1GB then it will only work a 1GB one more problem I see is not enough power for 2 of the 570's in sli at 1920 x 1200. Just food for thought here is a link to help you out a little.good luck

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-570-us...
m
l
December 23, 2011 1:09:50 AM

DM186 said:
With your resolution it is border line with more Vram or not and if you get another 570 with 2GB of Vram and you put it with the 570 1GB then it will only work a 1GB one more problem I see is not enough power for 2 of the 570's in sli at 1920 x 1200. Just food for thought here is a link to help you out a little.good luck

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-570-us...

Thanks for your relevant reply.

Hmmm, are you saying that even if I were to get a 2GB 570 (not sure if they exist) it would still not help my situation? As for the power consumption, I was concerned about this initially, but my worries have since dissipated as I've encountered other's running nearly identical set-ups on the same PSU with no problems whatsoever.

As I understand, the tx750v2 is a quality PSU and should handle my overclocked 2500k and future SLI 570's just fine. But as I said, I am open to advice and other suggestions if someone can tell me otherwise based from first hand experience.

I think I can scratch off the 590 as I read that it requires 700w minimum.

For SLI 570's in BF3 at my settings, is the micro-stuttering as bad as some people have claimed? I've seen a few vids of others running SLI 570's at ultra on BF3 and it looked very smooth, just want to verify though.
m
l
Related resources
a c 89 U Graphics card
December 23, 2011 1:42:48 AM

Another 570 will definately give you an awesome performance boost especially for BF3 , go ahead and get it I say , sounds like a great upgrade for you!
m
l
December 23, 2011 2:18:04 AM

monsta said:
Another 570 will definately give you an awesome performance boost especially for BF3 , go ahead and get it I say , sounds like a great upgrade for you!

Great. Thanks for your reply. I currently have the Evga 570 HD Double shot, which exhausts into the case, temps have been great so far, 33 c idle, never really goes above 75 even with the most intense games at max settings, Metro 2033, Crysis Dx11 etc.

I was thinking of getting a second HD DS card, just to keep a clean look, I am a bit concerned however, as the PCI slots in the p8p67 pro aren't especially well spaced for SLI, but decent enough I suppose. There is one extra slot in-between. My main concern is that the dual fans from the top card will be blowing the hot air directly onto the second card. How much increase in temps will I get with the SLI setup?

m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
December 23, 2011 2:52:18 AM

ELCID777 said:
Thanks for your relevant reply.

Hmmm, are you saying that even if I were to get a 2GB 570 (not sure if they exist) it would still not help my situation? As for the power consumption, I was concerned about this initially, but my worries have since dissipated as I've encountered other's running nearly identical set-ups on the same PSU with no problems whatsoever.

As I understand, the tx750v2 is a quality PSU and should handle my overclocked 2500k and future SLI 570's just fine. But as I said, I am open to advice and other suggestions if someone can tell me otherwise based from first hand experience.

I think I can scratch off the 590 as I read that it requires 700w minimum.

For SLI 570's in BF3 at my settings, is the micro-stuttering as bad as some people have claimed? I've seen a few vids of others running SLI 570's at ultra on BF3 and it looked very smooth, just want to verify though.

You can try running on the 750w and yes it is a tier 2 PSU which is nice but look at the fact if one card needs a min of 550w then add another 570 plus OC them and your CPU it may tax the PSU. Addung a second GPU will boost your game playing with no problem and it will be awsome. I was reading on another thread and this guy was running two 580's he needed a 1000w PSU or bigger in order to run them. I know yours aren't 580's. Any way do what you must and I wish you good luck. One more thing that is an awsome rig you have.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2011 11:52:40 AM

The 1.28gb Memory Buffer on the 570 is sufficient to play at 1920x1080 - especially when there are 2 of them. The boost will be significant as mentioned before.

As far as your PSU goes, with 62amps running down that Rail and excellent effiency it should have ample power to run those 570s

Enjoy your second 570, I wanna see Vsync off and hundreds of frames chugging out of that machine!
m
l
December 23, 2011 5:08:32 PM

Hehe,

Well, looks like I'll be going for another 570! Pretty excited. Will running at a slightly higher res of 1920x1200 still be ok? That's my native resolution.

Thanks for being so helpful and informative guys. Greatly appreciate the help. :D 
m
l
December 24, 2011 2:38:36 AM

DM186 said:
Here are three links about the PSU's These might be helpful or not. Please read them

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/312031-33-power-consu...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/333111-33-corsair-tx8...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/325563-33-570s

This is what I ment about the PSU's and how I came up with my answer please red thm all and on the last one read the last comment.

Helpful links, thanks. Based on all of the research I've done, I think I should be in the safe zone.

Some say it's not enough, but I've recently spoken with a few people running the same setup and on the same PSU without any problems whatsoever.

A few of them have even OC'd both cards, something which I don't plan on doing.

Apart from my 2500k, nothing else is over-clocked in my system.

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and get the second 570 next month. Hope all goes well and here's to hoping I don't have to deal with the dreaded micro-stuttering others have experienced.

Thanks a lot guys, very informative as always.

m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
December 24, 2011 3:09:24 AM

ELCID777 said:
Helpful links, thanks. Based on all of the research I've done, I think I should be in the safe zone.

Some say it's not enough, but I've recently spoken with a few people running the same setup and on the same PSU without any problems whatsoever.

A few of them have even OC'd both cards, something which I don't plan on doing.

Apart from my 2500k, nothing else is over-clocked in my system.

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and get the second 570 next month. Hope all goes well and here's to hoping I don't have to deal with the dreaded micro-stuttering others have experienced.

Thanks a lot guys, very informative as always.

I didn't want you to think that I was trying to steer you in a wrong direction I was just going on what I had read. Happy holidays and best of luck to you.
m
l
!