Loud Sounds on Thermaltake PSU

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I recently purchased a new power-supply for my gaming pc. If I play a match of Battlefield 3 or any other game my PSU starts to make loud cycle sounds and the temps feel a little too hot. My specs are below,
Motherboard : ASRock m3A770DE
CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 955e @ 3.2 Ghz
RAM : 8GBs of DDR3 RAM
Video Card : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560
Power Supply : Thermaltake TR-600P TR2 Series ATX Power Supply - 600W Link --> [ http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7151737&CatId=1483 ]

For example I can play Battlefield 3 on Medium Settings and can get 60-80+ FPS,but I can definitely hear a loud motor sound from either my PSU or CPU. I just want someone else who is more experienced to tell me if my power-supply is insufficient for my graphics card and or,CPU. Thanks in advance for any replies.

* The more I'm looking at the stats of the temps and what not,I think it might be coming from the CPU fan increasing with the hot temps,but I'm not sure.

Solution
If you are not willing to breadboard it then I think maybe you need to get someone with a bit of experience to take a good look at your rig. Something is very obviously not right - it shouldn't keep blowing psu's.
The Thermaltake TR2 Series TR-600P is more than sufficient to power your system.

Monitor the temperatures and fan speeds of the CPU cooler and graphics card.

If the fan speed of either components' fan speed ramps up then a closer inspection is warranted. It could still be the power supply though.

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Is there a certain area of rpm I should be aware of? I just have a regular stock-cooler that came with the CPU. When I was gaming I checked the temps and rpm;the temps were 60-75c and the rpm were at 5,000 if I'm not mistaken. Is that normal?

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

Just got finished testing on Battlefield 3. These were the currents results using CPUID.
CPU temps : 60 max,1500 rpm
GPU temps : 80 max.

I got 75c earlier when I had multiple programs running in the background,but when I closed everything besides Battlefield 3 and CPUID and Fraps I had max temperature of 60. I feels like my desk is shaking though. I hear the fans of something spinning,its loud and the desk shakes. Is that normal?

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

Sorry if I'm asking excessive amounts of questions,it's just this sound and feeling bothers me. So me applying fresh thermal paste to my CPU should keep the fans cooler because of the lower temperatures,right?

Both are operating within spec.

If your graphics card uses the reference design cooler then 80°C is quite normal.

A power supply's cooling fan will also ramp up its speed based on the load placed on the PSU and its current operating temperature.

finn281175

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Don't expect big drops in temps because of fresh thermal paste - you may not notice any difference at all. But try not to worry. Your cpu temp is fine and many gtx 560 owners report temps very similar to yours with no problems. The noise could be a faulty fan on your card, cpu or psu. You can try spinning the fans on gpu and cpu to see if they feel smooth and spin freely & you can try flicking the edge of one of the blades through the grill on your psu to see if that is fine (when powered down obviously!)

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Ok,thanks you two. If I could I'd like to squeeze one more question out before I finish this thread. If I've tried everything that you've said about checking the fans on the CPU,GPU,and PSU,and the loud noise still persists,then what should I do? I just recently got this power-supply and even the one previous to this had the same problems and it burnt out on me. So I'm not too sure If I should continue to play intense games.

Was the previous PSU exactly the same make and model? If not, what were you using before?

If I were you I would open up the computer case and put an empty paper towel tube against my ear and try to isolate exactly where the sound is coming from. Once the offending device has been isolated you can then deal with it.

finn281175

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
It sounds like something isn't quite right there. You could have a short somewhere between your case and m/b. Also, has the rig always been plugged into the same power socket? If so you could have a problem with mains supply from the wall. Also well worth investing in a surge protector if you havn't already.

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Well,basically I bought my pc from a company called Magic Micro,which was a mistake,but it was pre-built and it came with a diablotek 750w psu. That burnt out and now I have this current one.

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

I have a surge protector ,but im not to sure whether or not everything is connected correctly. I checked and it looked like everything was ok.

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Something unexpected just happened. I was just typing and the fan on the back of the case stops if I barely touch the back of the tower. Also,the LED light on the back of the case fan starts to blink. I can get it to turn back on if I continue to mess with it,but I don't know whats happening. Seems like nothing,but problems with buying this pre-build.

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I didn't replace my PSU. The company I bought it from did! I really am confused here,really with the fact that the CPU fans on the Case are turned off now randomly and if I touch it,it starts back up. I read the Breadboard thread,but im not to sure if I can understand. So,I unplug everything and take it out of my Case and plug in the hardware one at a time to see if anything is damaged?

finn281175

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
If you are not willing to breadboard it then I think maybe you need to get someone with a bit of experience to take a good look at your rig. Something is very obviously not right - it shouldn't keep blowing psu's.

Solution

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
OK,I hear you. My step-dad is pretty knowledgeable about computer hardware. Well,thanks for your time and help. I'll choose a comment of yours to be the best answer