Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Loud Sounds on Thermaltake PSU

Last response: in Components
June 8, 2012 6:58:08 PM

I recently purchased a new power-supply for my gaming pc. If I play a match of Battlefield 3 or any other game my PSU starts to make loud cycle sounds and the temps feel a little too hot. My specs are below,
Motherboard : ASRock m3A770DE
CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 955e @ 3.2 Ghz
RAM : 8GBs of DDR3 RAM
Video Card : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560
Power Supply : Thermaltake TR-600P TR2 Series ATX Power Supply - 600W Link --> [ http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... ]

For example I can play Battlefield 3 on Medium Settings and can get 60-80+ FPS,but I can definitely hear a loud motor sound from either my PSU or CPU. I just want someone else who is more experienced to tell me if my power-supply is insufficient for my graphics card and or,CPU. Thanks in advance for any replies.

* The more I'm looking at the stats of the temps and what not,I think it might be coming from the CPU fan increasing with the hot temps,but I'm not sure.
a c 1098 ) Power supply
June 8, 2012 8:11:56 PM

The Thermaltake TR2 Series TR-600P is more than sufficient to power your system.

Monitor the temperatures and fan speeds of the CPU cooler and graphics card.

If the fan speed of either components' fan speed ramps up then a closer inspection is warranted. It could still be the power supply though.
June 8, 2012 8:16:19 PM

PSU should be fine for that card. What exactly are the temps you are getting under load for cpu & gpu?
Related resources
June 8, 2012 8:28:42 PM

ko888 said:
The Thermaltake TR2 Series TR-600P is more than sufficient to power your system.

Monitor the temperatures and fan speeds of the CPU cooler and graphics card.

If the fan speed of either components' fan speed ramps up then a closer inspection is warranted. It could still be the power supply though.
Is there a certain area of rpm I should be aware of? I just have a regular stock-cooler that came with the CPU. When I was gaming I checked the temps and rpm;the temps were 60-75c and the rpm were at 5,000 if I'm not mistaken. Is that normal?
June 8, 2012 8:35:43 PM

finn281175 said:
PSU should be fine for that card. What exactly are the temps you are getting under load for cpu & gpu?

CPU temps : 60 max,1500 rpm
GPU temps : 80 max.
June 8, 2012 8:41:44 PM

Hmmm, 75c is running a bit on the hot side. Are you oc'ing the cpu? If not, a clean of the fan & new thermal paste may help to bring temp down. What about gpu temps?
June 8, 2012 8:43:18 PM

finn281175 said:
Hmmm, 75c is running a bit on the hot side. Are you oc'ing the cpu? If not, a clean of the fan & new thermal paste may help to bring temp down. What about gpu temps?

Just got finished testing on Battlefield 3. These were the currents results using CPUID.

I got 75c earlier when I had multiple programs running in the background,but when I closed everything besides Battlefield 3 and CPUID and Fraps I had max temperature of 60. I feels like my desk is shaking though. I hear the fans of something spinning,its loud and the desk shakes. Is that normal?
June 8, 2012 8:47:03 PM

CPU temp is ok. GPU a bit on the high side but not excessive. Again, fresh paste may help.
June 8, 2012 8:49:46 PM

finn281175 said:
CPU temp is ok. GPU a bit on the high side but not excessive. Again, fresh paste may help.

Sorry if I'm asking excessive amounts of questions,it's just this sound and feeling bothers me. So me applying fresh thermal paste to my CPU should keep the fans cooler because of the lower temperatures,right?
a c 1098 ) Power supply
June 8, 2012 9:03:38 PM

Anthony1025 said:

Both are operating within spec.

If your graphics card uses the reference design cooler then 80°C is quite normal.

A power supply's cooling fan will also ramp up its speed based on the load placed on the PSU and its current operating temperature.
June 8, 2012 9:13:57 PM

Don't expect big drops in temps because of fresh thermal paste - you may not notice any difference at all. But try not to worry. Your cpu temp is fine and many gtx 560 owners report temps very similar to yours with no problems. The noise could be a faulty fan on your card, cpu or psu. You can try spinning the fans on gpu and cpu to see if they feel smooth and spin freely & you can try flicking the edge of one of the blades through the grill on your psu to see if that is fine (when powered down obviously!)
June 8, 2012 9:21:19 PM

Ok,thanks you two. If I could I'd like to squeeze one more question out before I finish this thread. If I've tried everything that you've said about checking the fans on the CPU,GPU,and PSU,and the loud noise still persists,then what should I do? I just recently got this power-supply and even the one previous to this had the same problems and it burnt out on me. So I'm not too sure If I should continue to play intense games.
a c 1098 ) Power supply
June 8, 2012 9:27:52 PM

Anthony1025 said:
Ok,thanks you two. If I could I'd like to squeeze one more question out before I finish this thread. If I've tried everything that you've said about checking the fans on the CPU,GPU,and PSU,and the loud noise still persists,then what should I do? I just recently got this power-supply and even the one previous to this had the same problems and it burnt out on me. So I'm not too sure If I should continue to play intense games.

Was the previous PSU exactly the same make and model? If not, what were you using before?

If I were you I would open up the computer case and put an empty paper towel tube against my ear and try to isolate exactly where the sound is coming from. Once the offending device has been isolated you can then deal with it.
June 8, 2012 9:28:29 PM

It sounds like something isn't quite right there. You could have a short somewhere between your case and m/b. Also, has the rig always been plugged into the same power socket? If so you could have a problem with mains supply from the wall. Also well worth investing in a surge protector if you havn't already.
June 8, 2012 9:37:48 PM

ko888 said:
Was the previous PSU exactly the same make and model? If not, what were you using before?

If I were you I would open up the computer case and put an empty paper towel tube against my ear and try to isolate exactly where the sound is coming from. Once the offending device has been isolated you can then deal with it.
Well,basically I bought my pc from a company called Magic Micro,which was a mistake,but it was pre-built and it came with a diablotek 750w psu. That burnt out and now I have this current one.
June 8, 2012 9:40:20 PM

finn281175 said:
It sounds like something isn't quite right there. You could have a short somewhere between your case and m/b. Also, has the rig always been plugged into the same power socket? If so you could have a problem with mains supply from the wall. Also well worth investing in a surge protector if you havn't already.

I have a surge protector ,but im not to sure whether or not everything is connected correctly. I checked and it looked like everything was ok.
June 8, 2012 9:45:02 PM

Something unexpected just happened. I was just typing and the fan on the back of the case stops if I barely touch the back of the tower. Also,the LED light on the back of the case fan starts to blink. I can get it to turn back on if I continue to mess with it,but I don't know whats happening. Seems like nothing,but problems with buying this pre-build.
a c 1098 ) Power supply
June 8, 2012 9:48:21 PM

Breadboard testing. Why are you trying to avoid it?
June 8, 2012 9:50:00 PM

Yup. Breadboard it. Only way to be sure...
June 8, 2012 9:51:36 PM

ko888 said:
Breadboard testing. Why are you trying to avoid it?
Beacuse I'm to inexperienced to do something like that.
June 8, 2012 10:00:22 PM

Anthony1025 said:
Beacuse I'm to inexperienced to do something like that.

If you can replace your own psu then you can breadboard your pc. Its easier than it may first seem. Honestly!
June 8, 2012 10:06:26 PM

finn281175 said:
If you can replace your own psu then you can breadboard your pc. Its easier than it may first seem. Honestly!
I didn't replace my PSU. The company I bought it from did! I really am confused here,really with the fact that the CPU fans on the Case are turned off now randomly and if I touch it,it starts back up. I read the Breadboard thread,but im not to sure if I can understand. So,I unplug everything and take it out of my Case and plug in the hardware one at a time to see if anything is damaged?

Best solution

June 8, 2012 10:14:02 PM

If you are not willing to breadboard it then I think maybe you need to get someone with a bit of experience to take a good look at your rig. Something is very obviously not right - it shouldn't keep blowing psu's.
June 8, 2012 10:18:45 PM

finn281175 said:
If you are not willing to breadboard it then I think maybe you need to get someone with a bit of experience to take a good look at your rig. Something is very obviously not right - it shouldn't keep blowing psu's.
OK,I hear you. My step-dad is pretty knowledgeable about computer hardware. Well,thanks for your time and help. I'll choose a comment of yours to be the best answer
June 8, 2012 10:19:05 PM

Best answer selected by Anthony1025.
August 25, 2012 11:29:42 PM

Some insight from a fellow TR2 owner...
It's totally normal for your PSU fan to spin up under a heavy load, especially if you're pushing it anywhere near as hard as I push mine. I have a very similar Thermaltake TR2 550w modular running a 2500k and GTX480... I know, I'm reckless. Both are at stock clocks and the 480 is undervolted to 0.975. I can run Prime95 all day (I'm actually letting it run as I type this post) and the PSU will not spin up with just the CPU running hard. Now if I put the GPU under load (BF3 on ultra, Furmark etc.) I can hear a fan starting to move a lot of air. For the longest time I thought it was just my 480 humming along. I managed to notice not too long ago that the 480 fan isn't even audible during gaming (much to its credit and contrary to reputation, 60% fan, 80c or so) and the culprit was actually the PSU! Any time the 480 gets going my poor little 550w throws a fit and spins up. It's not even getting very warm either, similar to what you described. The fan just cranks away like it's worried about getting hot but never actually does. I can only conclude that it's doing what it's supposed to - keep the power supply cool. I've just learned to live with it. As far as 600w being sufficient for what you have, I think you'll be just fine. Mine has been powering the 480 without a single problem for several months now and all other components are at great temps with little to no fan noise. Am I on thin ice at only 550w? Possibly... but if it pops, oh well. I got it for 40 bucks. I know your 560 isn't quite the power-guzzler a 480 is but it's still a fermi and your CPU does use a little more power than mine so it wouldn't surprise me if you're just experiencing the exact same effect. I get the feeling that TR2's are also not the quietest power supplies around. I've owned an Enermax and a couple of Corsairs that were much quieter, both at idle and especially at load. I don't think you'll need to breadboard your rig, although it wouldn't hurt to get an expert opinion in person. A real expert with some certifications preferably. There are a lot of clowns out there who think they know a thing or two and will often hurt instead of help or even cause you unnecessary expenses. Scheduled blow-outs would also be a good idea, then you'll never have to wonder if it's just dust. I clean mine once a month and the noise still happens like clockwork. It really sounds like your PSU fan is just doing its job. As for me, I'm going to invest in a MUCH higher end PSU pretty soon so I can start overclocking without having to hear about it from the fan :D 
Hope my two cents helps or at least gives you some peace of mind. Best of luck to you.
!