Is the i5 2500k really that slow?

Crazybum

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
I was planning on getting a i5 2500k because i heard it was good from acouple of sources, but after a lot of researching i have found it does pretty bad performance wise, according to almost all the benchmarks i have seen.

Considering Amd FX 18xx pretty much ties mid level i7s at gaming, (which is what i plan to do) and is way cheaper should I just get the FX1820?

Why is the i5 2500k more expensive than the FX1820 while the i5 is so much worse at benchmarks, especially at gaming benchmarks?

Am I missing something I don't want to get the Amd and realize it only works with certain video card or something like that, i feel like there has to be a catch, or does intel just sell more expensive CPU that aren't made for gaming?

Im so confused please help

Solution
First of all, I do not think there is such a cpu named FX-1820. I think you mean FX-8120.
It is an 8 core bulldozer chip that was a big disappointment to gamers.

Games rarely use more than two or three fast cores, so the extra cores on a FX-8120 will go largely unused.
If you are running heavily multithreaded apps, then bulldozer does have a place as a value cpu.

The Intel cores are faster(do more work) on a clock for clock basis. That is the critical flaw in bulldozer.

If your cpu budget is $125 or so, the i3-2120 is very good.
If your cpu budget is near $200, then a 2500K, or a 3570K is a bit better.

For gaming, the graphics card is the most important component. Plan on spending twice as much on the graphics card as the cpu and...

Crazybum

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
I found a i5 25000k for under 200 but the Fx1820 is 150, should i just get the FX or is there a catch like i need some kind of monster cooling system or something

Crazybum

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Thats what ive heard, but why?

the Fx-1820 seems to get much higher gaming benchmarks and the rig im building is a gaming system

Does the fx-1820 have some kind of critical flaw i am missing?

Crazybum

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
By searching on the internet, the benchmarks u posted can't possibly be right, they are so off all the other ones ive seen.

Furthermore even intels official benchmarks don't coincide with these how can a i5 2500 out perform more expensive i7s?

First of all, I do not think there is such a cpu named FX-1820. I think you mean FX-8120.
It is an 8 core bulldozer chip that was a big disappointment to gamers.

Games rarely use more than two or three fast cores, so the extra cores on a FX-8120 will go largely unused.
If you are running heavily multithreaded apps, then bulldozer does have a place as a value cpu.

The Intel cores are faster(do more work) on a clock for clock basis. That is the critical flaw in bulldozer.

If your cpu budget is $125 or so, the i3-2120 is very good.
If your cpu budget is near $200, then a 2500K, or a 3570K is a bit better.

For gaming, the graphics card is the most important component. Plan on spending twice as much on the graphics card as the cpu and you will have a well balanced gamer.

Solution

Crazybum

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
I have seen around 20 or so real life benchmarks and I have yet to see where a i5 does that great (fps wise)

I don't know how all the point based benchmarks work but I am mostly concerned about fps

Crazybum

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012

Oh I see, so if I buy a FX 560 with 2 gigs of mem, any 100 dollar cpu will do?