Nikon D50 vs. D70

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 31, 2005 12:50:02 AM

Am I wrong in thinking that the specs of the D50 are very similar to that of
the D70? If so, what is the point of the $200 (or 27%) price difference
between the two models? Could someone please give me a clue...

More about : nikon d50 d70

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:50:03 AM

"Sitara Lal" <lalsitara@filter.indiatimes.com> wrote in message
> Am I wrong in thinking that the specs of the D50 are very similar to that
> of
> the D70? If so, what is the point of the $200 (or 27%) price difference
> between the two models? Could someone please give me a clue...

As far as I can tell, the kit lens is different on the two cameras, and the
features on the D50 are geared more towards amateurs while the features on
the D70 are geared more towards pros. However, given the same lenses I
would bet you could produce identical images under the same conditions, up
to a point. Do a side-by-side comparison and if he D50 has everything you
need, compared to the D70, go for it.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 2:19:36 AM

In article <_%Kme.23041$J12.12614@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
lalsitara@filter.indiatimes.com says...
> Am I wrong in thinking that the specs of the D50 are very similar to that of
> the D70? If so, what is the point of the $200 (or 27%) price difference
> between the two models? Could someone please give me a clue...

Probably best to wait for full reviews from places like dpreview.com.

Some of the differences are subtle when looking at the specs, but not
so subtle in terms of use. The D70 has two command wheels, and software
that lets you customize what each command wheel controls (aperture
override, shutter override, EV override). The D50 has one command
wheel, so there's much less customization you can do with it, and
less you can set up for single-finger control over important variables.

Things like that are buried when you try to read specs, and don't show
up at all in a simple comparison of the numbers. But they'll make a
huge difference in usability.

Wait for the reviews.

Diane
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 11:19:55 AM

- 450 Matrix II vs 1005 RGB Matrix I metering
- SD vs CF [if you invested heavily in CF , SD is another new investment ]
- Cheapo feel built vs solid ones
- 2.5 fps vs 3fps
- no front dial
the rest are here :
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method...

But if its market price is sub USD 700 , I will surely go out n grab one for
backup cam.
Paired with my old ED glass, they will surely create the same image :)

=bob=

!