Sign in with
Your question

Wan mini-port removal and purpose

Last response: in Networking
March 10, 2011 4:57:32 PM

Hello,

I see that among my network connections a WAN mini-port, though disabled and apparently having no function.

Can I safely delete it without consequence, and what is it? Does it install automatically from my ISP or did a user configure it?

Any help is appreciated.

plugnplay
March 10, 2011 5:17:28 PM

I haven't seen one of those in years, but I’m pretty sure it's installed by third party software. Last time I recall seeing it, it was related to AOL. Sometimes these guys install odd networking stuff to make their own software work, and frankly, I don't even know what it does/did. Since I don't know where it came from, I can't really say whether it is or isn't safe to remove. I'd probably need to know more about what's installed to see if I could determine its origins. I would check device manager and see if there’s a device called “wan mini-port” under network adapters, check the properties, it might provide a clue.

June 28, 2011 5:08:29 PM

I have a Windows 7 box and have the same issues. It hurts me because I use VPN for work and now out of the blue it wants to connect via the 'WAN MINIPORT" And I can no longer connect my VPN. I checked every device in my device manager and all network adaptors and not not find this miniport anywhere!
October 27, 2011 7:33:08 PM

flhrim said:
I have a Windows 7 box and have the same issues. It hurts me because I use VPN for work and now out of the blue it wants to connect via the 'WAN MINIPORT" And I can no longer connect my VPN. I checked every device in my device manager and all network adaptors and not not find this miniport anywhere!

You have to open your device manager (start -> run -> devmgmt.msc). In the View menu, Show Hidden Devices. Then under the network section you will see the WAN Miniports, if your machine has any. I don't know of a reason for them, so I just keep them disabled and I don't have any connectivity problems. Same with the Microsoft 6to4 and the ISATAP. My LANs don't need IPv6 and it's just annoying to have it.
!