Resolution of HDTV versus GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

justsumguy_22

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Hello all,

I'm upgrading my PC, & I am a computer/technology dinosaur, so bear with me. My intention is to construct a rig that will allow me to use my TV as a giant monitor.

I have researched every aspect of my new rig, but it wasn't until I got to the video card that I became truly "lost".

I have a 1080P TV, & my new PC will have an HDMI out, so no problems there. I am also content to pick the GPU suggested here on the Best Graphics Cards For The Money: December 2011, & that is where I start having problems.

It would seem that the suggested winner of the $300-$400 card is a tie between GeForce GTX 570 & the Radeon HD 6970. I'm sure either would be fine, but I am wondering if an upgrade to the GeForce GTX 580 would do me any good?

My TV is 1080P (1920x1080, right?), and the less expensive GeForce GTX 570 & Radeon HD 6970 offer "Excellent 1920x1200 performance". These cards 1920x1200 specs already exceed my TV's resolution capabilities. Will upgrading to the "Excellent 2560x1600 performance" GeForce GTX 580 be of any benefit, or is it just wasting money since my TV is only 1080P?

Thanks,

Rob

Solution
Opinions; if you can afford a kickass card then do it. Don’t worry about the limiting 1080p or any other resolution factors to guide you in your purchase choice, it’s all nonsense in a practical sense. If you can afford it, more the better - better to have more than enough than not enough, catch my drift.

I also game on a hd tv 50" and looks fantastic.

Also to point out both ati and nvidia using hdmi will also putout digital surround sound. I connect my pc to a yamaha receiver(with hdmi ins and outs) and then receiver to the tv to give you some idea. I suggest if you dont have already to setup yourself similar to get the best out of your gaming machine. Saving your self some money in a sound card and not having to putup with onboard...

9_breaker

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
it will increase the performance, especially when playing games on ultra and using msaa and all that stuff so there's no need to upgrade to 2560x1600 . i don't think you get any TV's at that resolution unless you use 2.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Opinions; if you can afford a kickass card then do it. Don’t worry about the limiting 1080p or any other resolution factors to guide you in your purchase choice, it’s all nonsense in a practical sense. If you can afford it, more the better - better to have more than enough than not enough, catch my drift.

I also game on a hd tv 50" and looks fantastic.

Also to point out both ati and nvidia using hdmi will also putout digital surround sound. I connect my pc to a yamaha receiver(with hdmi ins and outs) and then receiver to the tv to give you some idea. I suggest if you dont have already to setup yourself similar to get the best out of your gaming machine. Saving your self some money in a sound card and not having to putup with onboard sound.

Sound is just as important as video imo :)

Solution

justsumguy_22

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011

Firstly, thanks to everyone for the useful info.

Secondly, I think I can nip another question I had for the future right now:

@ boju: As far as an audio card goes, your post leads me to believe that if I run an HDMI from my PC to my TV's receiver, that there is no need to upgrade the onboard audio card?

If I am understanding you correctly, that would be awesome, because I already have a receiver & 7.1 surround sound linked to my TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.