Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Thermal Paste Removal

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2012 10:44:57 PM

What do you use to remove thermal paste from cpu. The only thing I could find in my house is Hydrogen Peroxide. Does that work? What cloth would you use ? or a paper towel ?

More about : thermal paste removal

June 8, 2012 10:50:13 PM

You can buy proper thermal paste removal fluid but isopropyl alcohol works just as well. And I recommend lint free cloth.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2012 10:53:46 PM

Ok I'll go grab some right now. Thanks man it really helped. I'm still waiting on UPS to get here. I bought the Coolermaster Hyper 1212 plus cooler.
amuffin said:
Have you read my guide?
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/333968-28-thermal-pas...
Use at least 70% rubbing alcohol. You can get a bottle for about 1-2 at your local pharmacy/grocery store!

m
l

Best solution

a c 186 à CPUs
June 8, 2012 10:56:42 PM

The 212 Plus comes with paste, so you should be fine!

To get best temperatures with the 212+ make sure you fill the little gaps with paste:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
a c 341 à CPUs
June 8, 2012 11:18:43 PM

abCasPeRR said:
What do you use to remove thermal paste from cpu. The only thing I could find in my house is Hydrogen Peroxide. Does that work? What cloth would you use ? or a paper towel ?

Rubbing alcohol, the purer the better works well.

Use a paper coffee filter. It is lint free. A paper towel can leave residual lint.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 9, 2012 12:09:32 AM

Do you also put the thermal paste on the pipes as well ?

m
l
June 9, 2012 12:31:54 AM

After filling in the space the thermal paste should then be applied on the cpu and when it is attached the thermal paste should spread onto the pipes.
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
June 9, 2012 12:52:14 AM

All you need is 70 or 90% rubbing alcohol and a non lint cloth. I like to use coffee filters they're cheap, won't rip and tear during scrubbing and they're non lint so it won't leave fuzzy junk behind.
m
l
a c 341 à CPUs
June 9, 2012 4:31:51 PM

abCasPeRR said:
Do you also put the thermal paste on the pipes as well ?

The purpose of thermal paste is to fill in microscopic pits in the mating surfaces so that there is no air trapped. Air is a very poor heat conductor. The thermal paste is not a great conductor, either, but it is much better than air.
If you use too much paste, it will act as an insulator which is not good. You really want to use as little as possible.
For the heat pipe coolers like the hyper212, you sometimes get seams, so filling them with paste is better than leaving them filled with air. It is the contact with the pipes themselves that is most important, and you want to use very little paste there.

If you put a small drop in the middle, pressure and heat will make it flow outward and avoid air pockets.
To satisfy yourself on how this works, plan on seating the cooler twice.
After you do it the first time, and have heated up the cpu, take the cooler off and see how the paste has spread. See if you have not used enough, or, more likely, you have used too much. Then clean it all off and make whatever adjustment you need to.
m
l
a c 188 à CPUs
June 9, 2012 4:52:48 PM

Rubbing alcohol works great

Electronic contact cleaner works better
m
l
June 9, 2012 4:56:30 PM

I find myself using zippo fluid often, as it's something I always have on hand.
As a painter I have denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner on hand too.

All these work well.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2012 7:12:20 PM

Best answer selected by abcasperr.
m
l
!