keggerade

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI -PSU
AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition Deneb 3.6GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor,
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit

Without naming DVD drives..ect. This is my build so far. I don't have any booting up of my system. The CPU fan, case, LED light, come on when you turn on the computer. With and without the RAM installed i have no beeing or sounds of booting up whatsoever. I have a onboard graphics card and my monitor gets no input. Any ideas? Or should I elaborate further? Any help would be appreciated.

quicksand10

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

^This.

Motherboard have a 4- or 8-pin connector near the CPU that needs to be plugged into your power supply.

I know I always forget it :D

keggerade

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
This is true. I have triple checked all cords because this isn't my first build. I do seem to be flying blind on the beeps though..which makes sense now. I've tried no ram, 1 stick, resetting CMOS, with no signs of life on my monitor. I think the best bet would be investing into one of these speakers, correct?

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
What bios version does it have. it should say on the bios chip itself. The bios for this board that officially supports that processor is 3406 released on January 31, 2012.

http://support.asus.com/Cpusupport/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=M4A78T-E&cpu=Phenom%20IIX4%20975%20%28HDZ975FBK4DGM%29,3.6GHz,125W,rev.C3,SocketAM3,Quad-Core&pcb=ALL&sincebios=3406&memo=

Do you have an older processor to try in it?

The CPU bios support is below

http://support.asus.com/Cpusupport/List.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=M4A78T-E&p=1&s=24

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Not to offend you here or anything else but a few suggestions and questions.

First...have you made sure you pushed the rocker power switch on the psu to 1 rather than 0? Also, is the power cord plugged into the psu...and the wall? It Happens to the best of us!

Do you have any fans spinning? Do you have any indication the psu has spun up..ie...the fan is spinning inside the psu?

Second...check that the 24pin motherboard connector is fully seated...reseat if any doubt or just do it anyway to remove possibility,

Third are all the motherboard standoffs to mount mobo to are correctly in place? Are you maybe missing one that's providing a ground for the motherboard or a component?

Another IMPORTANT thought...are you sure the front panel wires...ie...hdd led...pwr led...reset....are all connected correctly? Just one pin off makes a huge difference...make sure they are all connected per the users manual!

Just a few more things to check that may help narrow it down...The most important to check first though would be the PSU...is the internal 140mm fan turning and are ANY lights at all happening on the rig itself....ie...the optical drives show a green light during boot, is the cpu fan turning? Case fans...any turning or lighting up...so look for any indicators that the power supply is making any power then begin looking at the other items...since no video out means no ability to get a look at the bios to see if a hardware piece is hanging but usually with no video...it's a power issue...as in NO power! Bad case to mobo pwr switch, bad cable for pwr switch..something usually isn't plugged in, is incorrectly connected or the psu isn't producing any power!

just a few optional things to look at before you tear out your hair! Just kidding...only half way:)

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
My bad...didn't read closely enough..you have power to the cpu fan, the case fans and led lights are lighting but that's it...then check that you have the front panel connectors correctly connected via user manual and I assume the asus mobo came with a "q-connector" to connect the front panel wires...if so check that there's no problems with the wires themselves, reseat the mobo 24 pin connector, check that all the cables are plugged in to all components correctly...reseat them ALL!

I would reseat the ram, if no boot, then also remove one stick of ram and leave one stick installed, try to boot, if no move to your other stick, if no...try moving one stick to each ram slot to see if maybe one is bad or one of the sticks may be bad.

Next step is to disconnect the optical drives from power, disconnect hdds from power, disconnect all case fans EXCEPT the cpu fan, and try to boot to see if you get any response.

If no response, check that the video connection is good...if you are connecting via vga..the blue connector...try dvi....digital video interface...if no, try using a hdmi connection if your monitor supports it.

If none of the above works, then either the psu isn't providing necessary voltage to a critical parameter on the motherboard or the motherboard itself is experiencing a problem.

I would remove the CMOS battery, clear the cmos by shorting the correct pins as directed by your user manual, place the jumper back to run position or previous position and try rebooting...if no...the motherboard or psu is the culprit...RMA is painful but sometimes necessary!

Hope this helps!

keggerade

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

The Q-connector is different for each case model. I only found 3 pins to plug in and one of them wasn't matching the name provided in the manual. The LED lights for the front of the tower works correctly, as does the power button. I understand hooking a computer up isn't hard, but so many things can go wrong if just one thing is out of place. lol I'm about ready to start over from scratch and redo the wiring.

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Actually the Q connector is fitted to the connecting pins on each motherboad, not the case...all cases should have a config for front panel connections that are...hdd led +-, pwr led +-, Reset Sw +-, and maybe a speaker 3 or 4 pin connector...

Make sure you have the wires per the manual and make SURE you have all the first three i listed...if not something is missing and could be your problem...although it would have to be the PWR +- for it not to boot...the other two go to the hdd actitivity light and to the reset switch...neither would prevent booting in any way, you just couldn't see the hdd light flashing as it is being accessed or you couldn't reset the pc from the reset switch.

Again...if you followed all the steps I outlined, you should be able to determine what is getting power, if all connectors are connected correctly...reason for this one is, I managed to connect a sata pwr cable to a dvd burner one pin slot off and the machine wouldn't boot at all....just bump the lights and that was ALL it would do until I reseated the sata connector to the dvd drive correctly by moving it onto all the pins and it clicked into place, then it was like nothing had happened at all.

First time in 10+ years of building pc's that ever happened to me and I'm in a case the size of the library of congress!!! Huge...Cavernous :)

Besides, if you follow all the steps, you basically wind up rewiring the entire rig anyhow...lol....so go for it and try all the steps I outlined...that provides a path to eliminate each step of the POST and all hardware connections or hardware components themselves. leaving either a dead psu for board power, a dead motherboard, and one final thing I didn't mention

CHECK THAT YOUR CPU IS SEATED CORRECTLY...IMPORTANT...That could cause this problem...but since you aren't getting any beep codes...ie...ram beeps or cpu failure beeps...check to see if there's actually a onboard speaker, I remember somewhere in all this someone stated that you do have a speaker for boot so since NONE of the POST steps are providing a feedback error beep...you aren't even getting through the POST...Power On Self Test...ie a bad connection, a bad psu, a bad mobo, or a dead on arrival cpu...or maybe the pins inside the cpu socket are bent???

Sorry, but this is one of the harder issues to solve without the product sitting in front of me...trial and repetition are the word for the day.

keggerade

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Hey guys! Just posting back. I received the speaker in the mail today and hooked it in. Still nothing... :(. I am going back to retrace my steps... I am hopeful however since my fans run, hard drives spin, lights light up, solid green light on the mobo. I'm thinking it could be the BIOS as someone else suggested. Sorry if it seems like i am going in circles. I wish there was a way to bring one of you over to fix this mess hahah. Thanks for the continuous help guys! I've been very busy lately, so I haven't been able to sit down and figure it out. I need to hurry since the only thing i can send back if it's dead is the CPU. lol

keggerade

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Will do. I made the mistake of putting my mobo in the case before testing it. Noob mistake i know. I had to put the CPU in while dodging cords. Being frustrated doesn't allow you to think clearly. lol

keggerade

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
I bought my mobo in 2010 and i just purchased my processor. Do you think I could be having an issue with a outdated BIOS where it doesn't recognize my processor? Could that be causing my computer not to boot also?

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
if you bought it in a local store could bring back and ask to test since it does not post but if it from a web store try rma to asus for motherboard,also do you have a place that they could test the cpu not having it visual it hard to do more