Random Computer Shutdowns

ak2712

Honorable
May 4, 2012
I've recently purchased a new computer from Cyberpower PC. After one day of use I noticed the computer having issues with the Graphics card (AMD 6950 2gb)where the screen would randomly split/get pixilated. The computer was also randomly shutting down, wether it be during startup, playing a game, idle, anywhere from 1 minute to hours being on. I sent the computer in, where they replaced the graphics card, tested the computer out for 5-6 days and sent it back to me as it was working fine. I just recieved my computer yesterday and it started doing the random shutdowns/freezes again. I'm completely stumped as to what the problem could be as it was working just fine when they were testing it.

The tech support guy did mention one thing that could be causing it: the surge protector. I have a Belkin surge protector thats around 7 years old, and that it could have degraded over time causing these shutdowns. It says on the back max load is 15A, 125VAC, 60hz, 1875w. He recommended plugging my power cord directly into the wall and seeing if that fixed it. So far (it's been about an hour) so good.

I wanted to get some feedback from you all as to an old surge protector could really be the culprit? and how so? I'll list below my basic PC specs:

INTEL core i5-3570K 3.4 GHZ 6M LGA1155
8GB DDR3/1600mhz RAM
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DH3 CROSSFIRE SATA 3 USB 3 LGA 1155
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX V2 Power Supply
Radeon AMD HD6950 2gb DDR5

Thanks in advance!

randomkid

Distinguished
Only one way to find out, really. If bypassing the surge protector eliminates the random crashing then it is certainly the culprit.

On the other hand, is there any other appliance plugged into the surge protector that randomly malfunction or misbehave?

ak2712

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Guess I can rule out the surge protector... right when i submitted the post it froze...sigh. Now i tried a clean reinstall of windows 7 and its frozen during the intstall. This is very frustrating! I haven't even been able to use the computer that much since I purchased it and its brand new :(

randomkid

Distinguished
That's too bad.

When you said you sent the computer back, how did you know that "they tested the computer out for 5-6 days and sent it back to me as it was working fine"?

Is it just on a matter of their say so? They could have just let your PC sit there doing nothing & told you everything is fine.

I would suggest that you send it back in & ask for refund if that is all possible in the terms & condition of your purchase. I do not trust pre-built computers & much less the people building to sell it.

popatim

Titan
Do you know an electrician? have him test your outlet for power and ground. he will need more than a voltmeter to check how clean the voltage/ground levels are.
I once had a ground issue that caused all sorts of wierd issues and my pc would even fail a loopback test. Had a new line run and then everything ran fantastic.

ak2712

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Yeah thats what they said. I had called a few days ago to check up on it and they said they were still testing it and almost finished. Fortunately its still under full refeund. Guess we know its a hardware issue since i cant even reinstall windows..lol