Sign in with
Your question

Would like ot hook up to my HDTV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 23, 2011 6:00:32 AM

Hello all, I am new here so I hope I am posting this in the correct section of the forum. I currently have a 9800GT Vid card but I would like to hook my PC up to my TV I think I have a 37 HDTV I'm not using at the moment or not very much and I'd like to try this out. One reason is because my vision isn't the greatest so I hope to see the screen better lol.

I'd like to find a card like this but with an HDMI output preferably but I just don't know which to go with honestly and I don't want it to use any more power than this card I have does if possible. If someone could help me with some suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks so much :) 

PS, I wouldn't be opposed to upgrading my power supply but again I don't really know what would fit. I have a Gateway FX 7026 with a tiny power supply lol

Thanks again,

More about : hook hdtv

a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2011 6:14:15 AM

hey mate. Does your tv have any hdmi inputs? if so you can purchase a dvi to hdmi cable, just hook one up, configure the resolution and you're right to go.

video cards today use dvi or hdmi depending on the model. Yours is using dvi. Video wise its identical to hdmi so if your tv does have hdmi input you're in luck.

Converter cables are common and can be bought from most technical shops

Also note, if you succeed in having your tv as a monitor you might run into over/underscan issues where the picture might be too big or too small. Most tvs have inbuilt options for this, check it out.
m
l
December 23, 2011 6:21:13 PM

OK great thanks for the info and yeah its got plenty of HDMI inputs I'll look for one of those cables :) 

Thanks again.
m
l
Related resources
December 23, 2011 6:33:43 PM

there's also an adapter for regular DVI cables. its a DVI to HDMI adapter. It might be cheaper than a DVI to HDMI cable.
m
l
December 30, 2011 4:16:27 AM

Oh nice thanks.. yeah I didn't get anything yet, Christmas cleaned me out lol
m
l
!