Problem with EVGA GTX 560 Ti

Ryan Zauros

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased this card and installed it into my system on Monday: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604

Since I've installed it, I've been having a reoccurring problem with it. This is the first video I've bought that I've had problems with so I admit I do not have the skills to simply understand why this is happening.

Usually, while I am playing Garry's Mod/Minecraft and am speaking on Ventrilo, my computer will randomly start acting up. According to my On-Screen Displays and the EVGA Easy Precision tool, my GPU usage drops to 0-1% and its temperature returns to idle, while my CPU feels as sluggish as if it was at 100%. If I recall right, when I was once able to get task manager open while this occurring, it said my CPU usage was up to +90%. My entire system lags and I am unable to hardly do anything for 5-10 minutes. If I wait it out, the system recovers. However, just as I was writing this thread, my computer had it happen twice, only a few minutes apart. A third time while playing Garry's Mod just before starting to write this thread. That means 3 times in a row, only 5-15 minutes apart.

I have no idea why this is happening, and don't really know what else to look for. It first started while I was using FurMark within a few hours of installing this card on Monday and was slowly OC'ing it. With my core clock up to about 920, after about 5 minutes of FurMark, the system lagged out, and I was forced to slowly shut off FurMark, which seemed to fix it. Ever since then, the problem has been occurring randomly each day.

I tried using different drivers, version 275, still happened (was using 290 beta).
I returned my OC settings back to stock, still happened.
I switched my Power Management Mode under the NVIDIA panel to "Prefer Maximum Performance" as suggested by a friend, still happened.
I increased the voltage from stock 1.012 to anywhere between 1.063, still happened.
I reseated everything on my motherboard and cleaned out any dust, still happened.
I even tried using only one monitor to see if somehow having overlapping displays was causing problems, still happened.

I have no experience with this so I am sorry if this is a cut-and-dry problem that someone would be able to identify automatically. I just don't know what else to do.

Specs:

Mobo: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz OC'd to 3.5Ghz

PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W 620w, 500 minimum required on this card

RAM
: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 4 Sticks = 8GB RAM

Ryan Zauros

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
@monsta, I won't be able to say for certain until another incident occurs.

Just to point out, with the two 6-pin connectors to the GPU, I was using one of the provided Molex-to-PCIe adapters and one of my PSU's 6-pin-to-6-pin. I just switched to using another of the PSU's 6-pin heads, so both are running from the PSU without a Molex adapter. Have been playing for over an hour with no incident.

I shall update this if I experience another problem. Hopefully that was the fix but I cannot say for certain right now.

Ryan Zauros

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
I was getting excited to post that changing the adapter out might have fixed it, but I just experienced another lag out. I had gone nearly 7 hours without incident, so I did not have Task Manager open to see what caused this. By the time I had actually managed to open task manager (about 7-10 minutes), the computer recovered and I was given an error, saying something about the OpenGL display drivers and having to stop them.

Ryan Zauros

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Managed to see what may be causing the problem.

I just went through a long process of uninstalling the gpu's and mobo's audio drivers and reinstalling them from this link HERE (My computer hangs, freezes or becomes jumpy after installing drivers for my 400/500 Series Nvidia GeForce card.)...was hoping that would fix it. Apparently it didn't, because as soon as I booted up, started playing a song on the zune player, and opening Minecraft, I lagged out.

I looked at Resource Manager, which showed "System Interrupts" taking 40% of my CPU. Total CPU usage was 85-95%, while RAM usage was only 2.8 GB of 8.

I managed to close Minecraft and nothing happened. I managed to close the Zune player and my computer resolved...I honestly just don't know what else to do. The HD Audio Drivers from the GPU aren't even installed, but it still seems like audio is being an issue.