-Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
-i5-2500k
-Cooler Master v8
-Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti
-G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 4x2gb
-OCZ Vertex 3 120gb SSD
-Hitachi Deskstar 1tb 7200 6gb/s
-OCZ ZX 850W 80plus Gold

Getting great temps for both *pu's. Good FPS on Skyrim maxed out w/ambient occlusion on & ini tweaks. BUT, I get random freezes w/artifacts check boarded across the screen. No associated app errors in log. I did some reading in the newegg reviews for my GB 560ti and it seems they may have clocked the card a bit high, people are getting these problems and are only able to fix by "underclocking"...

Question: what do I do? I've contacted GB via e-mail a few days ago and no response. I'll call in the morn. I'm out of the allotted time for RMA from newegg. Not sure what help I'm going to get from GB on the issue. Should I just add another & SLI? & is microstuttering an issue in this case considering I should be able to max out any game @ 1920x1080 and cruise above 60 fps w/v-sync?
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2011 7:15:26 AM

if it doesn't work, don't add another.
First uninstall all nvidia drivers, driver sweep with driversweeper, then reinstall drivers.

If it doesn't work, contact GB. They'll probably tell you to try it in another computer. You can try that ahead of time if you wish.
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
December 23, 2011 7:46:46 AM

Temps of the card?
m
l
Related resources
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 23, 2011 8:04:06 AM

Go to the Gigabyte website and download the Bios updater for your cards model, its easy to do and only takes a couple of minutes, hopefully this might fix your problem.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2011 5:51:06 PM

^doesn't it void the warranty to flash a card?
m
l
December 23, 2011 6:35:47 PM

amuffin said:
Temps of the card?

<60* usually <50*
m
l
December 23, 2011 9:14:38 PM

Didn't get a chance to call today. Going to order a EVGA 560ti & isolate the prob that way I thinks. No prob sli'ng w/the GB right? Once we get it fixed?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2011 5:18:37 PM

should be compatible but might have problems. SLI and CF always seem to have problems though, lol. It wouldn't be fun if everything always worked the first time, would it?

Having two cards at different clock speeds might cause a problem though. Or maybe just increase micro stuttering. Also, as i said earlier, adding another card won't fix the origional problem.

The only reason to buy another is if you want two anyway.

Also, GB makes excellent quality parts though their tech support isn't fabulous. There isn't any reason i can think of to buy a different brand.
I'd rate EVGA just under them (but still excellent), though others will argue. I've never experienced evga's tech support.
m
l
December 25, 2011 5:56:31 PM

Yeah the lifetime warranty and tech support testimonials were the attractive things. Plus most every evga on newegg is pulling 5 stars. But, good to hear they (GB) make good parts and hopefully I'll get the issue w/this one resolved once I get customer service to respond... I did plan on getting two anyway, but I'm researching atm re: the micro-stutter. Some say the v-sync solves it. Also 3-way seems to effectively solve it. Three way 6870 (w/one 6870 x2 + 6870) would be dope and have more memory overhead if I wanted to go higher resolution. There's also a 560ti 2win from evga that's 2 in one that could do the same. I plan on building another rig soon for the wife so I've got two to options to play with.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2011 7:42:16 PM

Here's Tom's micro-stuttering and cf/sli article. It's a good read if you haven't read it yet.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

They say 3 gpus solves it. Also 2 gpus giving 60+ fps.
3 way sli is something i'd do myself, but i actually like tweaking and messing with settings and drivers. If you're more the plug and play type, 3 way might be more cumbersome than it's worth.

At 1920x1080, a 1GB 6950 with minimal tweaking can run just about anything at max and is a much easier solution.
m
l
December 25, 2011 9:25:11 PM

slicedtoad said:
Here's Tom's micro-stuttering and cf/sli article. It's a good read if you haven't read it yet.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

They say 3 gpus solves it. Also 2 gpus giving 60+ fps.
3 way sli is something i'd do myself, but i actually like tweaking and messing with settings and drivers. If you're more the plug and play type, 3 way might be more cumbersome than it's worth.

At 1920x1080, a 1GB 6950 with minimal tweaking can run just about anything at max and is a much easier solution.

Yep read it. Tempting on the 6950.. I was actually looking at the 2gb as there's a decent sale going @239 w/rebate and i also read about the core tweak.
m
l
December 26, 2011 3:27:10 AM

Going to install 290.53 beta driver... Looks like Driver Sweeper was discontinued... Do I really need to use something beyond the traditional uninstall?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 11:25:42 PM

you might not need it, but it's recommended.

here's a link to it: http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/

The 6950 core unlock is nice, but it's more for bragging rights than anything. The +20 power setting in ccc is a far greater help. (though it makes your card hot)
m
l
!