Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How much of a difference

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Bottleneck
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 9, 2012 3:11:42 AM

right now i have the amd athlon ii x4 630 2.8ghz and it is bottlenecking my geforce gtx 560 so i was thinking about getting the best cpu my motherboard can handle which is the amd phenom ii x4 980 3.7ghz how much of a difference will this make and will it solve the bottlenecking

More about : difference

Best solution

a c 900 à CPUs
a c 360 À AMD
June 9, 2012 3:42:01 AM
Share
a c 87 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 9, 2012 6:27:24 AM

A lot of that difference however is clock speed. If you can get your 2.8GHz chip up to as close to 3.7 as you can then the difference will be nearly nothing. The only advantage the PhII has over the Athlon II is the L3 cache.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 9, 2012 10:50:11 PM

4745454b said:
A lot of that difference however is clock speed. If you can get your 2.8GHz chip up to as close to 3.7 as you can then the difference will be nearly nothing. The only advantage the PhII has over the Athlon II is the L3 cache.

i wish i could overclock it but my computer is bought from hp so it wont let me overclock it
m
0
l
a c 900 à CPUs
a c 360 À AMD
June 9, 2012 10:56:56 PM

If it is an HP you have to check whether it supports CPU with tdp of 125watt.
m
0
l
June 10, 2012 4:35:53 AM

rolli59 said:
If it is an HP you have to check whether it supports CPU with tdp of 125watt.

i looked at the specs for my model and the motherboard says it can handle this and also i upgrades my psu to 750w so i can put whatever in it
m
0
l
a c 900 à CPUs
a c 360 À AMD
June 10, 2012 4:36:36 AM

fighterpilot56 said:
i looked at the specs for my model and the motherboard says it can handle this and also i upgrades my psu to 750w so i can put whatever in it

Go ahead then and enjoy!
m
0
l
June 10, 2012 4:38:48 AM

Best answer selected by fighterpilot56.
m
0
l
!