Sign in with
Your question

Is it normal for just two screws to hold the case and PSU together?

Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2012 12:23:38 AM

Is it normal for just two screws to hold the case and PSU together? The other two screw holes on the PSU are blocked by the case I bought. (Corsair CX600 PSU and Corsair Carbide 500R Case) The PSU will stay still since its mounted onto the bottom of the case. But is it normal for only two screw to hold the two parts together?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2012 12:40:20 AM

Usually it's 3 or 4. 2 will be fine if it's bottom mounted. Are you sure everything is installed correctly, it's not sitting on anything?
February 22, 2012 12:42:40 AM

Its sitting on a couple rubber pads, I assume that's to help it stop vibrating as much. There's also a little metal clip bolted onto the case which the PSU slides under fairly snugly. Its definitely not sitting on anything. And I've already turned the PSU so the fan faces the outside of the case.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2012 12:44:03 AM

wifi_n said:
Is it normal for just two screws to hold the case and PSU together? The other two screw holes on the PSU are blocked by the case I bought. (Corsair CX600 PSU and Corsair Carbide 500R Case) The PSU will stay still since its mounted onto the bottom of the case. But is it normal for only two screw to hold the two parts together?

Do you maybe have the PSU upside down? In either top or bottom mount, the fan should be facing down.
February 22, 2012 12:48:36 AM

tlmck said:
Do you maybe have the PSU upside down? In either top or bottom mount, the fan should be facing down.

I'm positive I have the PSU turned the right way. The fan is facing the case, which has a grill for air to come in.
February 22, 2012 1:11:59 AM

Don't worry about just 2 screws. It's bottom mounted anyway.
February 22, 2012 1:36:55 AM

You have the PSU UPSIDE DOWN...the cables should be on the outer side of the case ie...the opposite of the motherboard tray...this misaligns the screw holes and is blocking off two of the screw placements.

The FAN GOES UP, not down...there would be no purpose in blowing the heat down under the psu and then...heat rises naturally...reheating the psu back up in a heat bath which is what happens with the fan facing down...UNLESS...the bottom is vented, but even then...you are still creating a heat bath for the bottom of your case blowing the heat down!

On the two screws being used...if they were catty cornered..opposite sides of the psu...no big deal since it IS on bottom...however with both screws on the left side looking at the back...it runs a chance of the psu coming loose and bending into the motherboard...This Is Not Likely but still a slight chance...I would turn the pwr supply back over putting the power plug on the right side looking at the back of the case and deal with the wiring to get the other two holes to line up and remove any possibility of the psu shifting during a move...taking the pc to be fixed, taking the pc to a lan party, or just moving it around in the location you use it in!

Best practices are labeled that for a reason...best practices prevent possibility of damage through inappropriately secured hardware coming loose or some other calamity that could've been avoided.

Just to be fully truthful...I usually mount my psu's upside down like yours... to enable full reach of the 4,6,8, pin cable for power to cpu... to reach in Full Towers or Supertowers using cutouts and routing through back of case...however I only use PCPower&Cooling PSU's with the fan exhausting out the back of my rig and all my rigs have had alternative mounting for PSU's in the slots to allow for ALL (4) mounting screws to be utilized. I would never put the fan on a PSU DOWN in the bottom of a case...the heat bath thus created would increase possibility of failure due to increased temps to components inside my case, from the naturally rising heat. Psu's Can get HOT!
a b B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2012 1:41:16 AM

Everything looks good to me. Don't listen to the guy above me, it's better to have the air vented DOWN and OUT than into the inside of your case, where it can swirl around and heat everything up. 2 screws is fine!
a b B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2012 3:07:03 AM

face down is good ,if you slide it it just a little bit of from the motherboard do you have all the 4 holes for screws
!