Phenom II X4 955 Fan Speed?

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
OK,so my problem is my CPU fan reaches about 6000 RPM. Under strain of gaming on high graphics my CPU's max temperature reaches 60c. I'm using a the stock AMD cooler that came with the CPU and I haven't reapplied any thermal paste other than what came with it. Now,I'm not too experienced,but isn't 6000 RPM too much for a CPU at 60c max? I've noticed that this produces a EXTREMELY loud noise and nearly shakes my desk making pc gaming a little bothersome.
Here's the rest of my specs,

Motherboard : ASRock m3A770DE
CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 955e @ 3.2 Ghz
RAM : 8GBs of DDR3 RAM
Video Card : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560
Power Supply : Thermaltake TR-600P TR2 Series ATX Power Supply - 600W Link

Is there any type of way I can reduce the RPM on my CPU without causing overheating? Like going into the BIOS settings or using a software. If those options are not possible would purchasing a new CPU heatsink and paste help reduce the heat,which would reduce the noise and RPM? At first I thought it was my power-supply making the sounds,but after looking through CPUID I noticed the sound only occurred when the RPM increased. Thanks for any replies and hopefully someone can guide me to the right answers.

Solution

Yes. Going from Level 1 to Level 5 is why it increased the idle fan speed, which would result in a lower idle temp. Lowering it back down to Level 1 will decrease the idle fan speed, but increase the idle temp. It basically comes down to a compromise between noise and temperature. You said that you're concerned with the noise during gaming, so I would try something like 55C/Level 2 for a while. Temps will be higher, but it should be quieter. Keep an eye on your max temperature and see if it goes above 65C. If it does, then try 55C/Level 3 and just keep going up a level until you're not...

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Unfortunately, you're almost damned until you get a better cooler.

Never fear, they are very cheap, and as you have an awesomely overclockable CPU there, you will be able to overclock in your much quieter future.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

30 bucks! Even the brokest can afford 30 bucks, it's a worthwhile investment, will take your sound issue away, it will make your CPU cooler!

Terry1212

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Hi Anthony. I too was rather annoyed with the stock cooler that came with the 955. There are 2 things that you can do that can help somewhat:

1. Enable "CPU Smart Fan" aka "CPU Quiet Fan" in the BIOS. Here is an excerpt from your motherboard manual:

CPU Quiet Fan
This item allows you to identify the temperature of CPU fan. If you set this
option as [Disabled], the CPU fan will operate in full speed. If you set this
option as [Enabled], you will find the items “Target CPU Temperature” and
“Target Fan Speed” appear to allow you adjusting them. The default value
is [Disabled]. You are allowed to enable this function only when you install
4-pin CPU fan.

Target CPU Temperature
The target temperature will be between 45 C/113 F and 65 C/149 F.
The default value is [50 C/122 F].
Target Fan Speed
Use this option to set the target fan speed. You can freely adjust the
target fan speed according to the target CPU temperature that you
choose. Configuration options: [Level 1], [Level 2], [Level 3], [Level 4],
[Level 5], [Level 6] [Level 7], [Level 8] and [Level 9].

On my motherboard I have the target CPU temperature set to 50C and the target fan speed to 50%, which would be Level 5 on yours. You can play around with both of these settings until you get a noise level to your liking. For example 55C and Level 4 might be more to your liking.

2. Another thing you could do also is undervolt your CPU. I currently have the core voltage set to 1.29 in the BIOS, which leads to 1.280 effective. Since you have a different motherboard than me, I can't say how far you can go as far as undervolting, although I don't think 1.29 would be a problem. If you plan on overclocking your CPU, you may or may not be able to do this, depending on how much you're going to overclock. In fact, if you're overclocking, there's a good chance you'll need extra voltage, in which case I would recommend an aftermarket cooler.

So I'd start by playing around with the CPU Quiet Fan settings in your BIOS.

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Thanks for laying this out for me. I'm really new to PC gaming and just pc's in general. I just have a few more questions. How exactly do you enter the BIOS on this motherboard and CPU set-up? Will this cause over-heating if I enable CPU Quiet Fan?

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I've been told before to get a better aftermarket CPU and it was also the Hyper 212+. Does that come with Thermal Paste? Also,I have a Cooler Master Elite 310 Tower and the dimensions are 18.40" x 7.50" x 17.20",so I'm not too sure if that will fit or not.

Cooler master Elite 310 Twoer Case ---> [ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119210 ]

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
Unfortunately the stock AMD cooler is very loud. An aftermarket cooler like the 212 will make things a lot more enjoyable as well as giving you the option to over clock (coming from an AMD user using a hyper 212). To your question regarding the paste: Yes it does come with it's own paste that is almost on par with AS5 paste. There's even a review for it somewhere, a quick google or toms hardware forum search should get you there.

The only annoying part is the mounting bracket for AMD boards that comes with the cooler. On an intel board you can turn the cooler so it blows out the back, the AMD however will most likely force you to blow up. On an Antec300 case that's not a problem, but I'm not familiar with the Elite310 tower and if there is a ventilation at the top. Also if you're using some exotic ram (you know those useless cooling fin ones that look good but don't do anything) the cooler might be too big and get in the way. And lastly, make sure to have a third hand when installing it. The coolers bloody huge.

Terry1212

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

To enter the BIOS, repeatedly start pressing the delete key as soon as you turn on your computer until the BIOS appears.

When using CPU Quiet Fan, idle temperatures can expected to be slightly higher because the the fan will be spinning slower. 50C or 55C would be a good target temperature. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about overheating.

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Ok,I will test this out,but if it doesn't work out I'll just have to invest into a new cooler. I really wanted the 212+,but I don't think it will fit in the case.

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Do you mean the Backspace button or the actual Delete key,and do I just start spamming it?

plzpuddngplz

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
As Supermuncher said, the Hyper 212+ is huge. I'd check to make sure your case can fit it, as my HAF 932 barely fits with a side fan and your case looks a bit smaller. Also, if this is your first time installing a CPU cooler you might have to screw a little harder than you're comfortable with to get it in.

Terry1212

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

It would be the delete key, the key under the insert key. As soon as you press the power button, just keep pressing it over and over until the BIOS appears.

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Well,I accessed the BIOS menu and the option including CPU configuration with Fan Speed was 'Cool 'n Quiet'. The only option was 'Enable' that was it. I can't manually set the Target CPU Temperature or Target Fan Speed. Should I keep it enabled?

Terry1212

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

Anthony, the "Cool n Quiet" setting is different from the "CPU Quiet Fan" setting. You should leave it enabled. The "CPU Quiet Fan" setting is under the "H/W Monitor" menu. You change menus by pressing the left or right arrow buttons. Once you get to the H/W Monitor menu, you will see CPU Quiet Fan as an option. After you enable it, 2 other settings will then appear: "Target CPU Temperature" and "Target Fan Speed".

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Oh,ok. I just searched in the CPU configuration settings. Sorry,I am still in the process of learning these things lol. I'll do it now.

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

Ok,when I entered the BIOS settings the 'Target CPU Temperature' was set to 50c default and 'Target Fan Speed' was on Level 1. I changed the Level to 5 and saved the settings.

Terry1212

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

Was the "CPU Quiet Fan" setting already set to enabled?

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I use CPUID or PC Wizard. When idle my Fan speed is now 2900-3000 RPM.. I'm not sure what it is under load. I'm kinda nervous to test it out.

Terry1212

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

Yes. Going from Level 1 to Level 5 is why it increased the idle fan speed, which would result in a lower idle temp. Lowering it back down to Level 1 will decrease the idle fan speed, but increase the idle temp. It basically comes down to a compromise between noise and temperature. You said that you're concerned with the noise during gaming, so I would try something like 55C/Level 2 for a while. Temps will be higher, but it should be quieter. Keep an eye on your max temperature and see if it goes above 65C. If it does, then try 55C/Level 3 and just keep going up a level until you're not going above 65C.

If noise once again becomes a problem at the 55C target temperature, try 60C/Level 3 and if it goes above 65C, go up a level until it doesn't go above 65C.

If at that point, there's still too much noise and you're still going above 65C, then I would either undervolt the processor(if you don't plan on overclocking) and/or buy an aftermarket cooler.

Don't let the higher idle temperature or fan speed scare you. Bottom line, your goal is to get less noise without going over 65C.

Solution

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

Ok,thanks for all of the help. I'll chose your answer as the best and close the thread. If the temps are high and the noise continues I'll probably be making another thread asking which cooler is best for my case,but thanks again for all the help.

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
The case width is 7.5 inches with a 120mm rear fan, I would expect the Hyper 212+ to fit. The only sure way is to measure from the CPU to the side of the case.

For what you want the LOKI heatsink (lower height, uses 92mm fan) would be an alternative choice.

Also did your 955 ship with the AMD heat-pipe cooler?

If a friend of yours has purchased one of the 125 watt FX chips and is not using the oem cooler these are supposed to ship with a larger oem heat-pipe cooler with a larger fan than shipped with the Phenom II X4 or X6 chips. Would be worth a try.