P8z68-v pro/gen3 boot loop with raid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhxkinMassacre

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
ok so i finished assembling my new computer a few hours ago. i put windows on it. i put the video and mobo drivers and such on. but i have a pretty annoying problem with my asus p8z68-v pro/gen3

so i have a 1tb caviar black (os drive) and i want to use a 64gb ssd as a cache using the intel smart response technology. so i have the program to set it up but before you can do that you have to set your sata to raid mode. and thats where the problems are. when i set the board to raid mode my computer gets thrown into a bootloop that is only solved by going back to AHCI "not sure it that is the right 4 letters but its something close to that" mode

and another thing is that i can't update the bios either. when i go into the ez flash and select the .rom file for the bios it says its not a efi bios EVEN THO I GRABED THE FILE FROM THEIR SITE ON THE PAGE FOR MY EXACT BOARD.

so can someone with this or a similar board help me out. i have been trying to get this to work for 3 hours and my heads about to explode haha

Solution
My only experiences mixing SSD and Hdd's is to use the SSD as the boot drive and then have a Hdd for storage. When you try and package an SSD and multiple Hdd's in a raid they don't talk.

QuietPC

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
My only experiences mixing SSD and Hdd's is to use the SSD as the boot drive and then have a Hdd for storage. When you try and package an SSD and multiple Hdd's in a raid they don't talk.

Solution

PhxkinMassacre

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
im not quite sure i understand what you mean. i think you think im making mirror image drive which im not. (again really new to this so raid is still a little fuzzy to me) but when i went to microcenter and was getting parts the worker their saw what i was buying and told me he had a similar setup but used an ssd strictly as a cache and the hdd as the boot drive. all the ssd is supposed to do is store often used files so that things will load faster but i can't get my comp to boot in raid mode which is necessary for it to work

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Hey i know you selected the best answer already but i just want to add something. I have the same board as you and had a problem getting my HDD to work. I had to go into windows and format the drive a few times before i got it to work right. After that if will tell you to asign a letter. After that the raid mode should work.

Also about the bios updates. Just make sure you have the right one for your mobo. I just updated mine a few days ago and had no issues. I went to there site and downloaded the file. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_PROGEN3/#download update number 3202 in the bios drop down list. Once you browse your computer in the ASUS suite ez flash, it should appear in the right column saying your version on the top and the new version on the bottom. Just click flash and your all set.

PhxkinMassacre

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

thats what i did in the bios and it said the .rom (bios update file) was not a proper file or somthing... but anyway i fixed my raid problem. apparently you have to be in raid mode before you install windows... finally figured it out after 4 windows installs haha. also that wasn't the best answer, i just got tired of getting email asking me to select a best answer haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS