Suggestions for buying new game? Mercenaries/Oddworld/Fable?

Last response: in Video Games
February 10, 2005 10:17:27 AM

I am interested in getting a new game this weekend. After playing Deus Ex
and Riddick, I really enjoyed those. I am intersted in buying one of the
following three.

Mercenaries
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
Fable

All have glowing reviews, and I played the Mercenaries demo, which seems
pretty good. But I really like the Deus Ex and Riddick type games which is
why I am interested in Fable and Oddworld. I do not get a lot of time to
play games except during the wee hours of the night, and usually get a few
hours free on the weekend to play, so rentals are usually not a good choice
for me, unless I can keep them two weeks at least if I want to finish the
game.

Your opinions are appreciated.

Thanks!
February 10, 2005 10:17:28 AM

HockeyTownUSA wrote:
> I am interested in getting a new game this weekend. After playing
Deus Ex
> and Riddick, I really enjoyed those. I am intersted in buying one of
the
> following three.
>
> Mercenaries
> Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
> Fable
>
> All have glowing reviews, and I played the Mercenaries demo, which
seems
> pretty good. But I really like the Deus Ex and Riddick type games
which is
> why I am interested in Fable and Oddworld. I do not get a lot of time
> play games except during the wee hours of the night, and usually get
a few
> hours free on the weekend to play, so rentals are usually not a good
choice
> for me, unless I can keep them two weeks at least if I want to finish
the
> game.
>
> Your opinions are appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

I haven't played Oddworld yet but I'd say Mercenaries hands down. I got
it on release and am still playing, almost done with the Hearts and I
plan on playing again with a different character. Mercenaries can be as
hard or as easy as you want it to be, with a few exceptions.

Fable is cheaper, though. Got that on release as well and it didn't
take more than two weeks to complete. It's very easy, there is no
challenge. You can get these potions that increase your max health.
After I finished the game I realized I had about 8 of them unused, I
thought they were regular potions, which I hardly used either.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 10:22:40 AM

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>I am interested in getting a new game this weekend. After playing Deus Ex
>and Riddick, I really enjoyed those. I am intersted in buying one of the
>following three.
>
> Mercenaries
> Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
> Fable
>
> All have glowing reviews, and I played the Mercenaries demo, which seems
> pretty good. But I really like the Deus Ex and Riddick type games which is
> why I am interested in Fable and Oddworld. I do not get a lot of time to
> play games except during the wee hours of the night, and usually get a few
> hours free on the weekend to play, so rentals are usually not a good
> choice for me, unless I can keep them two weeks at least if I want to
> finish the game.
>
> Your opinions are appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Oh and speaking of rentals, my wife's family is coming over Sunday afternoon
with their 6, 9, and 11 year old kids. What is a good XBOX game that I can
rent for them to play? Thanks!
February 10, 2005 1:17:30 PM

HockeyTownUSA wrote:

> All have glowing reviews, and I played the Mercenaries demo, which
> seems pretty good. But I really like the Deus Ex and Riddick type
> games which is why I am interested in Fable and Oddworld. I do not
> get a lot of time to play games except during the wee hours of the
> night, and usually get a few hours free on the weekend to play, so
> rentals are usually not a good choice for me, unless I can keep them
> two weeks at least if I want to finish the game.

Definitely Mercenaries. If what you liked about DX and Riddick was being
able to pick your own approach to tackling enemies and problems, that's what
Mercenaries is all about. It's kind of like GTA in a way, but less "Look at
me, I'm a badass criminal!" and more just being given all the toys and tools
and using them as you best see fit. It's easily my favorite game of the last
several months. In fact I'm halfway finished my second time through.

It takes a few missions before you can really grasp the mechanics of the
game, but once you get into it it's a hell of a lot of fun. Even now I'm
still finding new ways of doing things that I hadn't thought of before.

-Z-
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 4:01:05 PM

> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> >I am interested in getting a new game this weekend. After playing Deus
Ex
> >and Riddick, I really enjoyed those. I am intersted in buying one of the
> >following three.
> >
> > Mercenaries
> > Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
> > Fable
> >
> > All have glowing reviews, and I played the Mercenaries demo, which seems
> > pretty good. But I really like the Deus Ex and Riddick type games which
is
> > why I am interested in Fable and Oddworld. I do not get a lot of time to
> > play games except during the wee hours of the night, and usually get a
few
> > hours free on the weekend to play, so rentals are usually not a good
> > choice for me, unless I can keep them two weeks at least if I want to
> > finish the game.
> >
> > Your opinions are appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> Oh and speaking of rentals, my wife's family is coming over Sunday
afternoon
> with their 6, 9, and 11 year old kids. What is a good XBOX game that I can
> rent for them to play? Thanks!

shrek2 probably, or uh.. isnt there a spongebob game out? that one.. kids
seem to like the show..alot.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 4:03:29 PM

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am interested in getting a new game this weekend. After playing Deus Ex
> and Riddick, I really enjoyed those. I am intersted in buying one of the
> following three.
>
> Mercenaries
> Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
> Fable
>
> All have glowing reviews, and I played the Mercenaries demo, which seems
> pretty good. But I really like the Deus Ex and Riddick type games which is
> why I am interested in Fable and Oddworld. I do not get a lot of time to
> play games except during the wee hours of the night, and usually get a few
> hours free on the weekend to play, so rentals are usually not a good
choice
> for me, unless I can keep them two weeks at least if I want to finish the
> game.
>
> Your opinions are appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

my nephew liked fable, he spent a couple weeks on it.

I spent about 4 hours with oddworld before it went back to blockbuster,
havnt tried mercenaries yet (outside of the demo) and havnt played fable so
dont know.
now, I will say this.. I was pleasantly surprised with bards tale. I've put
12 hours into it so far and it still has my interest piqued. try renting
that at some point if you havnt played it yet, you might like it.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 5:19:48 PM

On 2/10/2005 1:41 PM, Thoth spake thusly:

> That's just wrong. SB has a fine beard named Sandy. <g>

Fixed your post.

-Z-
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 6:25:50 PM

My vote goes to Oddworld.

It's an FPS with some platform elements to it. Very fun to play.

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am interested in getting a new game this weekend. After playing Deus Ex
> and Riddick, I really enjoyed those. I am intersted in buying one of the
> following three.
>
> Mercenaries
> Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
> Fable
>
> All have glowing reviews, and I played the Mercenaries demo, which seems
> pretty good. But I really like the Deus Ex and Riddick type games which is
> why I am interested in Fable and Oddworld. I do not get a lot of time to
> play games except during the wee hours of the night, and usually get a few
> hours free on the weekend to play, so rentals are usually not a good
choice
> for me, unless I can keep them two weeks at least if I want to finish the
> game.
>
> Your opinions are appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 10:48:30 PM

HockeyTownUSA <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:

> Oh and speaking of rentals, my wife's family is coming over Sunday afternoon
> with their 6, 9, and 11 year old kids. What is a good XBOX game that I can
> rent for them to play? Thanks!

SSXTricky is always a crowd pleaser. 2 players can race or compete in the
showoff events against each other. Or they can just take turns playing
doing one single player event.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 12:28:10 AM

For sheer creativity, I vote for "Stranger's Wrath". It's a
beautifully designed and fun shooter/platformer. Solid game, good for
late night play. I own all three, still working on "Mercenaries",
great fun but you can spend hours just wandering around blowing stuff
up (not good for late night sessions, in my opinion... because it'll be
dawn before you know it).

If you like swords and sorcery, you should at least give "Fable" a try.
It hooked me and I had fun playing it to the end.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 1:25:19 AM

"wd" <wd@none.com> wrote in message news:lWIOd.59983$IV5.14428@attbi_s54...

> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message

>> Oh and speaking of rentals, my wife's family is coming over Sunday
> afternoon
>> with their 6, 9, and 11 year old kids. What is a good XBOX game that I
>> can
>> rent for them to play? Thanks!

Fuzion Frenzy - 4-player same-screen mini-games. Splat bugs while
protecting your hamburger, knock each other off of a waterfall, race around
a barge gathering orbs while crates go flying by, and about 40 more such
games.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 6:24:13 AM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 07:17:27 -0500, "HockeyTownUSA"
<magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:

>I am interested in getting a new game this weekend. After playing Deus Ex
>and Riddick, I really enjoyed those. I am intersted in buying one of the
>following three.
>
>Mercenaries
>Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
>Fable
>
>All have glowing reviews, and I played the Mercenaries demo, which seems
>pretty good. But I really like the Deus Ex and Riddick type games which is
>why I am interested in Fable and Oddworld. I do not get a lot of time to
>play games except during the wee hours of the night, and usually get a few
>hours free on the weekend to play, so rentals are usually not a good choice
>for me, unless I can keep them two weeks at least if I want to finish the
>game.
>
>Your opinions are appreciated.
>
>Thanks!

You cant go wrong with Mercenaries, but my vote would be for Oddworld.
It's got great graphics, it's a lot of fun with it's blend of 1st
person shooting and 3rd person platforming and its' very polished. I
think it's up there with Riddick in terms of being an under hyped but
very solid gem.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 8:19:32 PM

"Ejiisan" <oed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> For sheer creativity, I vote for "Stranger's Wrath". It's a
> beautifully designed and fun shooter/platformer. Solid game, good for
> late night play. I own all three, still working on "Mercenaries",
> great fun but you can spend hours just wandering around blowing stuff
> up (not good for late night sessions, in my opinion... because it'll be
> dawn before you know it).
>
> If you like swords and sorcery, you should at least give "Fable" a try.
> It hooked me and I had fun playing it to the end.

Thanks! And thanks to everyone else. Looks like it will be a tough decision.
I think I will go for Oddworld, and pick up Fable when it is available for
$30 or less, and Mercenaries next free weekend I have. But knowing me, I
will probably change my mind at the last second.
!