flossbandit

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
at the beginning of this month i decided to finally break down and buy the parts to build a new gaming pc.

my original budget was $500-600....... then it grew to $700.

i just calculated what i've spent in the past couple of weeks.

$1066.89

my god.

that's not including the $75 G700 mouse or the original $107.99 mobo i RMA'ed but still haven't gotten back.

this stuff's like crack.

they've got me so hooked i'm buying another $250 GPU next week when i get payed at the end of the month.

kill me now. i sold my iPad and PS3... no regrets on that though.

anybody have any similar experiences?

g-unit1111

Titan
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hear that. Last year when I got my TV, I upgraded my case to the Graphite 600T. Then I upgraded my video card to the setup I have now. Then I had a motherboard die on my work computer so I had to get all new equipment - motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Then I had the CPU left over but no motherboard so I got a motherboard. I spent quite a bit of money on both my systems last year. But on the plus side I have two incredibly kick-ass systems.

flossbandit

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

yes, sir. why yes you do. i just looked at both of those in your profile, and if that's them... yes. that's all i can say.

Wolfshadw

Titan
"Hi. My name is Wolf and I'm an Egg-aholic"

{Hi Wolf!}

My Newegg addiction began back in 2005. I was working a good job and having fun browsing forums like Tom's Hardware and I kept hearing about this great place to purchase computer hardware. At first, I scoffed at the idea. There was NO PLACE like Best Buy! But I continued to hear about the site and I finally decided. It's time to put an end to all this talk. I'd find identical products on both sites, compare prices and laugh at these bozos who were paying ungodly shipping prices!

It was my pride. My loyalty to Best Buy was my downfall. If I had just let bygones be bygones, I'd have never even looked at Neweg... that site. But I did. I found, to my horror, incredible savings, a myriad of options, brand names I had never heard of... and the hook. That one thing that led me to my first purchase... "Free Shipping".

Oh how I curse that day. It started small, of course. I half expected the shipping container to be ripped, bent, and/or crushed and the component destroyed. It wasn't, of course. It was pristine. Delivered right to my door. I installed the component and wondered in awe at the new found life my computer had.

Over the course of the next six years, I found myself purchasing more and more components. enough for 10 computers! I told myself, I needed a dedicated gaming system! A computer just for games; nothing else. No browsing, no downloading, no media playing... Nothing but gaming. My current system could do all those other things. The site, of course, was more than willing to oblige.

But wait! How about a computer just for media? An HTPC? Of course, I needed one. It just wouldn't do to run audio and video cables from my computer desk all the way... a whole six feet... to my HDTV! I needed a new system I could place in my entertainment center. THEY, of course, were happy to have a free shipping sale.

And on and on it went... Five years and nearly $10,000 later, I sit and look at the wasteland my closet has become. Old and outdated components. Dead hard drives and power supplies. Empty computer cases... I shudder to think of what might have been.

I am happy to say that it has been four months since my last online purchase from... THEM.
My name is Wolf and I'm an Egg-aholic.

-Wolf sends

P.S. In case anyone missed it, the above was written in jest. I absolutely love Newegg. It really has been four months since my last purchase, though. I (and my bank account) are happy with our current set ups... though my HTPC case is starting to look a little ragged :sol:

flossbandit

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

I read that entire thing with a smile on my face. I know that feel bro. It's going to be bad 10 years from now when I'm living in a cardboard box and pushing around a shopping cart full of computer components in the street.

ericmet

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
I think they add subliminal messages to their sales. Every time I open an e-blast from them, I'm like "Why yes, you're right, Newegg. I simply cannot live without these new and exciting products. I'll take 3 of each!"

There is no cure for it, either.

game junky

Distinguished
My trick to avoiding the checkout screen was to make a new currency conversion standard. $6 = 1 chipotle burrito bowl. Thus, if I buy a $100 power supply I have just robbed myself of the privilege of eating almost 17 meals.

Not saving your credit card in checkout and having your significant other or child hide your credit card is also a bold move. Playing a game of scavenger hunt for your credit card at midnight so that you can upgrade your video card after waiting to load a map usually gives you enough time to talk yourself out of it.

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
if it wasn't for those emails... I would have my college loans paid off by now... and its been 7 years... they just make me so... curious...

ericmet, you are right, they have definitely convinced me that if I don't get that Corsair SSD on sale, I will not continue to breath...

These are all funny and humorous storrys. I try to only have one egg beverage a month, i am a "Egg-aholic" spending over a 150$ on newegg well lately every month, i tried ebay
, i saved 50$ that one time. It's all about price hunting. But the neat interface web page with eggs and the review rating, the Add to cart button that is on every item. The item you just checked yesterday but is not deactivated. Some times i like to add all my components into the cart and leave them there, as a way of i am at the grocery store telling the cashier, oh wait i forgot something. Then walk out everytime with the cart still in the line. Saying Sucka's haha

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I too am an Egg-aholic.

My house currently sports one server, two laptops, five desktops all on full GB wire. Now if Verizon could just s*** or get off the pot with FIOS. Thank goodness for chariable causes or it would be more. Oh did I mention I am building a new game system later this month. I can't stop and you guy can,t make me... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ok so I started buying from Newegg before they were newegg. Egghead (brick & Mortar store about 30 Miles from my home) -> Egghead online -> finally newegg).
So really hard to break, but like Running the "Bars" in Nam, I was able to break my addiction with only minor relapses.

Untill I exceed my wife's shopping on QVC, HSN and one I forget the name of, I'm home free. She has had to buy new jewrey boxs, the last two are large "hang on back of a door"

However, We have made a pac - can only buy upto our monthly allowance (pocket money). What we don't spend duing the month can be carried over. hehe - limits me to about $600 a month.

g-unit1111

Titan

If you look closely though Amazon doesn't sell PC parts directly, they leave that to other sellers. It's their prices that beat Newegg's, not Amazon's.

RetiredChief: That egghead store was in Loehmann's Plaza. I spent a lot of time and money there, too, until it closed and newegg was born. I am an eggoholic. I have only had a few relapses since DEC 2010, when I bought a boat. That opened a whole new world of opportunity to spend $$; just about 1/4 mile east of Loehmann's Plaza is a new store - Atlantic Bait & Tackle. No i7 chips there, only hooks, sinkers, and items like parachute rigs, mojos, and stretch-30s! When my DFIX48s die, I will build a new rig. Until then, I'll maintain my 4 computers, and my family's 4 computers. Enjoy the WX today, it is a Bonus Day.
treefrog07

g-unit1111

Titan

That's why I don't buy from them or recommend them on build threads. If something goes wrong, I want a replacement for it immediately - not 60 days from now or whenever they feel like it. I generally recommend manufacturers and vendors who have excellent support and RMA departments.

I guess I'm lucky that I live in California which is home to: Corsair, EVGA, XFX, Viewsonic, Gigabyte (North American HQ), Asus (North American HQ), Newegg, OCZ / PC Power & Cooling, Intel, AMD, Apple, Cooler Master, Antec, Rosewill, and that is just off the top of my head. If I need a replacement for something, I want to be able to get it ASAP.