Sign in with
Your question

Crossfire cooling issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 23, 2011 2:22:08 PM

Hello there, I recently bought another HD 6870 to crossfire with my existing one and have run into a rather infuriating heat problem:

My current mobo is a Gigabyte X58A-UD7

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

If you look at the slot layout you'll see that it has a total of 4 PCIE slots, but unfortunately the 6870 is both a dual slot and stupidly long, and the only setup that I can actually use is with the master card being in the furthest slot to the right and the slave card being right next to it, in the 3rd slot from the right. I would have used the 4th slot, but a mobo cable and the PSU blocks that completely.

So the problem I have is that both cards are right next to eachother, almost touching. The top card is fine as it's fan is not obscured, but the temps on the bottom card have almost doubled.

60 deg on idle (30% fan speed) and around 80 (70% fan speed) on load.

So far i've added some extra intake fans that have helped a little but not much. I don't have the money to buy a new motherboard for the moment, so I guess i'm wondering whether you guys have any magic tricks regarding this situation, because i'm fresh out of ideas.

The one thought I did have, was to try and make the card on top into the master card, so that the bottom one wouldn't take as much of a beating in terms of consistent load. But I don't really know how I could do that, as PCI slots are numbered at the hardware level.

Any help you could supply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
December 23, 2011 2:30:05 PM

Maybe getting a different full tower would help with space if you can get one. You can probably find one for half the price of a new CF motherboard.

Are you willing to unscrew the power supply and move it forward a little? So that way you can use the 4th slot, like you mentioned?
a c 109 U Graphics card
December 23, 2011 2:32:20 PM

Which case? Also which 6870's? Move the one with the best cooler in the front.
Related resources
December 23, 2011 2:42:34 PM

Unfortunately it's not just the PSU that's blocking it, there's a mobo input in the way as well, i'll have a look see if I can relocate it. And I'm not sure if I can move the PSU any further forward either, had trouble getting it in the first place, perhaps I do need a bigger case.

As for the case, I threw the box away ages ago, I can't remember the brand or model no. i'll have a look around and get back to you on that one.

The cards are both Sapphire 6870s, I believe the one I just bought is a later revision of the same card with what seems to be a larger fan. It runs the coolest in the bottom position so i've left it there. (I've tried both configs)
a c 109 U Graphics card
December 23, 2011 2:46:53 PM

Robot_Devil said:
Unfortunately it's not just the PSU that's blocking it, there's a mobo input in the way as well, i'll have a look see if I can relocate it. And I'm not sure if I can move the PSU any further forward either, had trouble getting it in the first place, perhaps I do need a bigger case.

As for the case, I threw the box away ages ago, I can't remember the brand or model no. i'll have a look around and get back to you on that one.

The cards are both Sapphire 6870s, I believe the one I just bought is a later revision of the same card with what seems to be a larger fan. It runs the coolest in the bottom position so i've left it there. (I've tried both configs)

How many fans does the case support? You can get a great case for 60-80 dollars.
December 23, 2011 2:51:16 PM

5 case fans I believe. Two front, One top, One side, One Back
December 23, 2011 4:07:37 PM

Check your bios settings there should be an option for selecting the third slot as primary. I know there is such an option on my Gigabyte ga 790fxt ud5p amd board.
!