Sign in with
Your question

Poor Performance with Radeon 5850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 23, 2011 2:35:44 PM

At this point, I'm experience low FPS/poor performance overall in just about any game with this rig. I'm unsure if the video card is the problem or not. I've done as much research as possible, and am now worried I have a bottleneck elsewhere after all the reading I've done.

My issue is low FPS in almost any game I play that does not have a DX11 option. I noticed this issue a few days ago when, after installing the patch for a game, it set my video settings to the default. After changing everything back to the way I had it, I missed the setting for the DX version. It was set to Dx9 (what the game used when it came out). When I changed it to Dx11, the video performance picked back up, but it's still a little ... laggy, for lack of a better term.

I still have to turn shadows down though, in any game I play. And I'm unsure of whether or not I should use in-game settings or CCC's settings. I've tried both and neither makes much difference.

System Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58-UD3R
CPU: Intel i7 940 @2.93 GHz
6 GB DDR3 RAM
Radeon HD Sapphire 5850
2x80 GB OCZ SSD in RAID0
1x300 GB Segate HD
Windows 7 64 Bit Professional.

Most of these parts I purchased earlier this year, except for the video card which I purchased around this time last year (if I remember correctly).

Trying to play Skyrim on max settings results in unplayable FPS, like 2-3 frames/s. SW:TOR isn't handled very well either, not so much in terms of fps (30fps on average) but environment lag and line quality are poor. I get lag while running around. My character is walking forward but the environment lags a bit and then jumps every so slightly to catch up. It's annoying. I feel like it should be buttery smooth at 60fps (capped there due v-sync. Refresh on my monitor is low).

I'm not sure what else I can do. Any help/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
December 23, 2011 2:51:32 PM

I apologize for the spoiler tag not working properly; I have edited my original post to include the computer specs.
m
l
December 23, 2011 3:06:04 PM

What would you recommend for the SSD's instead of RAID0? Just leave them as a single partition without RAID?

PSU: Thortech 1200W (Overkill I know. It was bundled with another item for a discount).
And monitor since I forgot that too is a Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW (22") running at 1680x1050.

m
l
Related resources
December 23, 2011 3:18:19 PM

Do I have to reinstall the OS or can I just remove the RAID? This is my first desktop with a RAID setup, and it's obvious I'm unfamiliar with it. I had no idea that setting SSD's in RAID0 prevents TRIM from operating at all. Stinks ... If I can just "remove" the RAID, how do I go about doing so?

I appreciate your help, tons.
m
l
December 23, 2011 3:25:29 PM

Looks like I'm reinstalling windows tonight. It's a software raid, no hardware controller. Thanks again.
m
l
!