Choice between 2 really *cheap* intel pcs

Paynus

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
I'm upgrading from a pentium 4, 8800gt (256mb), and 1.5 ram to a new pc!

I was planning on building my first pc but i came across two good already build options on craigslist:

option 1:
i5 2500k
Asus P8Z68-V LX (not the pro version)
8gb ram
500gb hdd
600w steam pro
standard case (prob need to replace)
20" westinghouse
geforce 550ti
wireless keyboard/mouse
speakers with subwoofer
windows 7
-----------------

option 2:
is 530
biostar thx55xe (h61)
4gb ram
1tb hdd
700w psu
windows 7
------------------

I know the that i5 is what everyone has and it'll prob keep me gaming for a while, but is the 200 deal too good to pass up? The i5 package for 500 is pretty good too, yar?

i'm wanting to play skyrim, bf3, and other stuff that comes out, and I can understand that I might need an updated graphics card down the road.

I guess I'm just looking for confirmation before I pull the trigger since the last pc i bought was back in 2006 (pentium 4). Thank you for looking.

ccbad

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
I upgraded from about the same! But I got AMD instead, it's cheaper and better at multi tasking. Oh but DON'T BUY USED, you never know what could be wrong, and if something goes wrong there is no warrantee. My uncle that has built computers for 10+ years told me that. Ask them if they will piece it off, the 2500k is pretty good, but you really don't need the wireless crap. Unless you are not gaming in which it's fine. Ask them if they will part it off, get the hard drive, tell me what kind of ram they both are and I can tell you, and the PSU off the 200 dollar deal. You can use the HDD as a slave drive for mass storage, the ram, if the same, can be used instead of the 4GB, and the bigger the PSU usually the better. Get the 500 dollar thing and do those things. If he'll part it, then,if same ram, do not get the ram from it, or the power supply.

serialkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
if u are going to overclock then go with i5 2500k and u are going to need a good cpu cooler and if not then i5 2300 should be consider
and if u are going to play bf3 then 550ti is not enough replace with 6950 if possible and as u can flash the drivers to recognise as 6970
and u are good to go :)

Paynus

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Thank you both for your information, neither want to part them out but as I am not in any hurry to build maybe they'll change their minds if they don't sell their rigs.

Since I thought I was going to build I already started to acquire pieces like a new hard drive and psu, so I bought one if these bundles I could sell some of the pieces and recoup money.

I guess what I really want to know is are the prices of either of these two builds too good to pass up? It seems like both are really good deals since they're both 50% off of retail value, but again they're used and maybe I should stay away from used mobo/processors?

morgoth780

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011

i'd stay away from them, they seem to cheap to not have anything wrong with them