My Parts Are Arriving...now what?

ubicray

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hi all
I've chosen parts as you recommended(thanks all) and tomorrow my build will arrive :)

i5-2500K
Corsair xms3 8GB dual channel
Corsair Builder 600W
ASRocK z68 extreme3 gen3
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Saphire Radeon HD6870

So what will i have to do tomorrow?any urgent advices to do before even touching,or something useful...
Thanks all in advance :)

ccbad

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
DO NOT EAT THE THERMAL GREASE, for starters. Oh and are you assembling? Do you have case fans? Fan controller? Case? CD drive? Don't overlock to start. Get it running, play some games, get all software downloaded or games, I suggest you get stickies, that are notes that you can jot down thougths and such. Just double click the icon that looks like a pad of stickie notes, and one will pop up. But get all stuff downloaded, let it rest, then start testing/gaming heavily. Well not heavily, but more before you just got it built.

ubicray

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Well,i'll use stock cooler so i can't eat it i think :D
I didn't buy case yet,but i think i'll have to buy also some case fans...
I have dvd drive,but idk about fan controller(do i need it?is it sth i can eat?)
any other suggestion about static electric or so? :)

ccbad

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Well, my little brother managed to scrape it off and eat it with one of the backs to my gskill ram case badges. Go for a case with lots of fan slots. Like the HEC 63RABB, I can manage 7 120mm if I'm lucky, so far only 6. A fan controller is needed if you have like what I have, 6 120mm, lol, they are loud. oh, and there is this thing called a mod mat, you can order it offline for like 35 bucks. It's an anti static mat that has place to put the static, idk, killing? Would that work?, wrist bands. Frozen CPU, that is where to get it, and also a sound proofing kit, it's cheap, like 3 or 4 bucks. If you don't feel like using a fan controller. Just google frozen CPU and search it on the site.

serialkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
before touching any electronic its better to touch a metal thing like case and never assemble on carpet as static can build up

and download all current drivers for mobo graphic and after installing os update
thats what i can say

ccbad

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Agreed, make sure there is no static, or little sibling (he is the reason I have to buy new thermal paste, but I get artic silver 5, so I'm happy) around or near the computer parts. Could short it out.

ccbad

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
I was just kidding, that is fine as long as you don't plan to overlock heavily. And I suggest that case too, I can fit my 560 SC TI in there, nice case.

berger0n

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

Get yourself an electrostatic wristband.

Crush3d

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Open things up as you need them.. If you can't contain your excitement, make sure to open one thing at a time and then put all the little parts/cable/etc back in the box. If you just start opening stuff up and laying it here or there.. you are going to be in for a real treat when it comes time to find the right baggy of little screws.

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
first i do suggest is that, you plug in your power supply then touch it (doesn't have to be turned on)

or put the psu on the case then touch the metal part or psu that is plugged in, it should help remove any thunderbolt 9999999999voltage out of your body ^_^

ubicray

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
ok...another question:
are the cases same?I mean compability...is every ATX case compatible with every other ATX one?i'll buy a case for my extreme3 gen3