Sign in with
Your question

System Failed to Start: CPU or Mobo?

Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2012 4:17:33 AM

Hi all,

I was in a middle of something when my machine suddenly shutdown. I tried to restart it but nothing happened. Absolutely nothing, apart from flashing led on the mobo.

I first thought it was only the PSU as it failed the paper clip test. I then got a brand new power supply. Now I have power-on and reset lights flashing on the mobo once the power is on. Light is flahsing on one of network ports as well (the other one is not). But apart from that, nothing else.

I have tried to unplugged and swapped the RAM, and unplugged the graphic cards. I also cleared the BIOS. There is still no response.

Getting a bit desperated now.

Would like to identify which component is also defected. Not sure how to test the CPU or mobo.

-----------------------
The system is less than 2 years old and I didn't overclock.

Asus P6X58D Premium iX58 Socket 1366 Dual Gigabit LAN 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Corsair 750W HX Modular PSU
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel (TR3X6G1600C8)
Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66GHz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366)
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM
Edimax EW-7727In nMax 300Mbps Wireless Desktop PCI Network Adapter
Sony Optiarc AD-7241S 24x DVD±RW SATA Lightscribe Optical Drive (Black)
February 22, 2012 6:53:51 AM

Most likely my first guess is if your power supply failed it would have damaged the mobo, try to RMA it if it's still under warranty....Memory issue would be my second guess.

You can also try the following steps:

1- make sure all power plugs are attached to the mobo = the 24 pins power EATX connector and the two 4 pins (or single 8 pins) EATX12V connector, quad core needs all in order to work, if you forget one, it won't work!

2- switch to another power outlet in the room, do no use power surge or multiple outlets, switch the power cord <= this simple thing fix a lot of problems! ...but always use a decent power surge outlet in normal use!

3- make sure the CPU cooler is well positioned!

4- verify all jumpers on mobo.

5- remove CMOS battery, wait a full minute before replacing it.

6- take out everything, including the video card, HDs, memory, DVD, all cables.... everything... make sure you have a little computer speaker connected to the 20-8 pin PANEL connector (number #9 in mobo doc) to identify the POST code. The beep codes will give you the error encountered each time.

From here, each time you're going to add a new device/cable/etc... you need to UNPLUG the power cord before touching anything inside!

7- if you get a beep post code, try to add the memory first.... only one at a time.

8- after adding all 3 memory sticks, add the graphic card...make sure you connected the extra power supply connector!

9- add all devices/cables/etc...one by one! until the system fails. It will gives you what component is to be replaced (if not the mobo)... beware, sometimes a simple cable can make the whole system to fail, so do not trust any cable, switch them to test them!

ok...i found an interesting and complete post describing everything you should do. It's really well done, follow all step by step

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Good Luck
!