Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking for opinions $850 max

Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2012 4:37:49 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: March 21ish. After payday basically.

Budget Range: $850 cap. Rebates okay. (3/5 updated)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, watching streams, web browsing, web development, photoshop, word documents.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, os, hdd, cd drive, case

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon

Parts Preferences: Nvidia over AMD graphics. I've had extremely poor experiences with the CCC. That and I have no idea how to read the numbering system. I'm totally open to AMD though based on price:p erformance but I'd need major help here.

Overclocking: Future (If the i5-2500k starts falling behind -3/5)

SLI or Crossfire: Future

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:
3/6 Update - Changed a few things but was wondering if I should be running a 750 or 850w PSU if I plan on going SLI in the future with 560 TIs. I don't plan on really OC'ing the cards but may go 900/1800 at some point or another, nothing really fancy. I was also going to push the 2500k to 4ghz in the far far future when if it ever comes down to it. Other than that I've started to pick up the parts based on how much I can reduce the shipping, such as using the promo code to effectively reduce the 2-day priority shipping cost (The only option Hawaii has) down to $4 for my 2500k. Other than that I'm probably going to buy everything else in one go on the 22nd or so.

Wishlist link here: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

More about : opinions 850 max

Best solution

February 22, 2012 7:34:01 AM

GPU: GTX 560 Ti $210
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU: i5 2400 $180 (good till Feb 27)
Case, DVD,HDD (None)
Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $130 (after shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU: Any seasonic, corsair, OCZ, Antec are fine. Modular is more convenient. $80

Total= around $600
Related resources
February 22, 2012 5:59:07 PM

With that ASRock board, there seems to be no reason not to go i5-2500k at this point. Dumping the SSD as a luxury item would mean that this can easily be gotten and used to OC even farther in the future IF this ever starts becoming a slower CPU. That being said, would gamers at any point need more than 8 gigs of ram? Right now I'm able to push for a 16 gig set and still be under $700. Speaking of which, is there any difference between ram with the same timings and all that besides the design of the heat sinks? I'm mostly talking about g.skill as I haven't had the chance to look at anything else yet.

Also, anyone know of any good coolers that aren't the front to back of case type? Or would I be okay running the thing back to front? Chances are I'll reverse the rear exhaust fan so all the air gets pulled upwards most likely somewhere around where the ram is. Oh, and anyone have any first hand knowledge of the whole positive air pressure thing?

Updated the wishlist.
m
l
February 22, 2012 6:35:59 PM

Hi, regarding the positive air pressure, it's a nice term from HVAC, but I'm not sure about how effective it is in computer case application. Let me elaborate, positive room pressure is achieved by having higher supply than exhaust, which causes any passive air transfer to be directed out of the room - this is done to keep dust and particulate from entering the room from adjoining spaces. Now, doing this with a computer case sounds like a good idea to keep the dust out, but it has a few problems depending on heat sink fan orientation and going against thermodynamics. Actually, here, instead of taking my word for it, consider what TH wrote:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-air-pressur...

If you're concerned with dust, it's a decent consideration, but getting filters could be just a good.

I think the problem with what's causing the rusting is the salt and moisture in the air rather than dust. I don't believe positive air (or any other kind) will help with that. I'm not sure of ways to remove salt from the air (salt water really), perhaps some dehumidification solution?
m
l
February 22, 2012 7:15:53 PM

Sounds good. I'll just filter my intakes and remove dust more often. Hopefully the filters will take care of most of the issue.

Thanks for all the help. I'll probably check back on this mid-March if there've been any major changes with CPUs/GPUs and what not. On a side note, whats the difference between differently priced ram running the same numbers besides for different heat spreaders? Unless the difference IS the spreaders and thats it. Also out of curiosity, what would be the current equivalent in AMD to the 560 ti?
m
l
February 23, 2012 6:19:52 AM

At any product you pay the name of the brand too.
The equivalent of 560Ti is 6950 from AMD.
m
l
February 23, 2012 8:43:34 PM

sosofm said:
At any product you pay the name of the brand too.
The equivalent of 560Ti is 6950 from AMD.

Thanks. I'm gonna look around at the AMD cards for a while since it's still a month until I'll have the money. New hardware is just so shiny and hard to resist.

As for the ram question, it was between the same brand, just slightly differently priced and with different spreaders.
m
l
March 6, 2012 1:34:39 AM

Finally started getting paid and figured out the taxing so I realized I have a bit more money to throw around now. I was wondering if I was planning on OCing the 2500k in the future to something reasonable like 4ghz and running SLI 560 TI's. Would a 750w psu be enough or should I go higher? I don't plan on OC'ing the 560's but if I do, it'd probably be somewhere along the lines of those factory numbers at 900 core 1800 shader.

Should I be worried at all about hardware aging/wear? I don't plan on picking up a second 560 TI until later down the line but then one would be newer than the other when I do install it.

I was looking at the following PSUs:
Corsair: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Seasonic: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Granted buying the same corsair on Amazon is like 143 with no rebate and paying 150 would net me an 850w with Super Saver Shipping either way. Cheaper than the 850 on newegg.
m
l
March 16, 2012 6:22:07 AM

Best answer selected by alterleaf.
m
l
!