star293

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
hello guys so here is my current rig

gtx 460 768mb

athlon x3 455

4gb ram

am3+ motherboard

and when i play battlefield 3 on high setting i was getting around 24 to 30 fps so i lowered everything to medium setting and tested again but i was still getting similar fps. Can you guys tell me why i am getting same fps even though i lowered the setting? Do you think the cpu is causing this problem since it is not quad core?

i have only 230 dollars so i can only upgrade one hardware. Should i buy a new cpu or a new videocard? and what model should i buy?

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Yes your current CPU and GPU seems fairly balanced. But if graphic settings makes little difference, that is a telltale sign that your CPU is at its limit in that game. You would probably have to upgrade both to see a big improvement though.

ericmet

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Not sure which mobo or psu you have, but if they allow for it, here are some choices that could help. If you wanted to upgrade both and remain within your budget, you could do something like this:

AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz Quad Core CPU upgrade $110
ASUS Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card upgrade $110
EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card upgrade $130

If you can scrounge up a few dollars more, you could go with the AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Six Core CPU for $150 and throw in that $110 video card.

Hope that helps!

^^^ I'd definitely vote for that option first - or if it doesn't work, see how far you can overclock it on three cores, because both of those options are free.

I don't think any AMD 6-core processors are worth it right now. The Thuban series was not showing a whole lot of improvement over quad-cores because most programs weren't taking full advantage of the extra cores. And the Bulldozer series has been a disaster so far - just horribly optimized for gaming. I'm fairly confident they'll figure out how to improve that down the line, but for now I'd stay away.

ericmet

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Agreed, but with only $230, the options are limited.

That's why I said I like the idea of overclocking or unlocking the fourth core. Then he can concentrate all of his limited cash resources on the video card.

I don't think anybody ever mentioned what size monitor this guy is using, by the way. If it's a big honking 1080p monitor, the video card, and in particular the 768MB of memory on the video card, could be where the bottleneck is. It's usually recommended to have 1GB or more of memory on your video card for the bigger monitors, otherwise performance drops. I found that out firsthand when I had an HD4870 with 512MB that worked great with my old monitor, then after someone gave me a 1920x1080 model for Christmas, performance was way down and I was experiencing skipping, etc. There's a fine line somewhere in that 512MB-1GB range that he may well be crossing.

In any case, when you take into account what he could get for selling his current card, a 560 Ti or HD 6950 ought to be well within his price range.