Sign in with
Your question

Radeon Mobility HD 4550 w/ Intel Extreme Graphics switching drivers..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 23, 2011 4:57:17 PM

So I'm using a custom HP TouchSmart tm2t-1000 with ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4550 with Intel Extreme Graphics switchable for power consumption. It's a great idea, and I do use the switching from time to time to conserve a bit of power.

Lately though, games have become driver specific to run, and HP has stopped supporting graphics updates for this model of laptop. In fact, there have been only two updates ever. I can not update my drivers at the AMD website, as they don't support graphics switching GPU set ups; instead they refer me back to the device manufacturer (HP) for drivers.

So, being stuck with last year's drivers, I feel kind've cheated. I tried updating Catalyst as well as just driver packages from AMD, but the installer does detect that my GPU is not compatible. I do know that the architecture of the ATI graphics shouldn't differ from normal Radeon Mobility HD 4550's without the Intel switchables.

So, is there a way I can disable the switchable graphics, force my computer to recognize only the Mobility HD, and then update the drivers through AMD's latest packages for the rest of this laptop's life?
December 23, 2011 5:32:56 PM

You should be able to. Uninstall the drivers you have now. You may need to do it in safe mode and use Driver Sweeper. Then update from AMD's website.
m
l
!